5 Ways to Distract Yourself from Finals and Get Ready for Summer

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Maine chapter.

Ahh, finals week. We know that time of year too well. Late nights at the library, overdosing on caffeine, and MY GOD, the stress- it’s awful! In honor of the nice, warm weather we’ve been having, here are 5 ways to distract yourself from your grueling finals schedule and get in the summer mindset.

1. Make a summer playlist.

This is my go-to for getting excited about the warmer months. I don’t know what you guys like to do during the summer, but if you’re anything like me, you like to ride your bike, run or even drive long distances. You know what makes all of those things even better? Sunshine and a happy, upbeat playlist to get your blood pumping. I’ve already started making my playlist and here are a few tracks from it:

“Teacher” by Nick Jonas

“Elastic Heart” by Sia

“Teach Me” by Bakermat

“Lean On” by Major Lazer & DJ Snake feat. MØ

“Sun Daze” by Florida Georgia Line

2. Go on a walk.

Walks are seriously underrated. Get outside and soak up some Vitamin D you’ve been lacking during this long winter! Sidewalks are great, but bike/running trails are even better. Breathe in some fresh air, see the trees that are budding with baby leaves and get excited for warmer days to come.

3. Make yourself a summer drink.

Come on, everyone’s got their favorite! Whether you’re into gin & tonic or iced tea, this will be sure to get you in the mood for summer. Nothing makes my taste buds happier than an Orangina on a hot day.

4. Ice cream.

Those awesome ice cream stands that were closed for the winter are all opening up right about now. Take a break from studying and get yourself a nice cone (or dish) of your favorite summer flavor. This also functions as a fun date idea if you aren’t completely drowning in essays and exams this finals week.

5. Buy yourself some flowers.

I know this one is overdone during this time of year, but there’s a reason for that. One of my favorite things to do in the summer is visiting greenhouses or outdoor floral shops. A nice vase full of flowers on my bedside table is the best way to remind myself that happier days are coming. Plus, they smell awesome while making your room that much brighter.

Taryn Lane is a third year at the University of Maine, pursuing a bachelor’s degree in Journalism. She also has two minors: Music and Religious Studies. When she's not writing, she's performing in one of three vocal groups on campus or organizing events for her sorority, Delta Phi Epsilon. In her free time, she loves running, reading, burning too many candles at once, and drinking coffee & tea. She has a fascination with lobsters. One day, she hopes to run the Boston Marathon and join the Peace Corps. Taryn aspires to be a columnist.
Kate Berry is a fourth-year journalism major at the University of Maine in Orono. She loves reading about the latest trends and events.