4 Places to Eat During Parent’s Weekend

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Maine chapter.

Parent’s weekend/homecoming weekend is right around the corner. Friday October 17 to Sunday October 19, football games and hockey games, craft fairs and receptions, you’re going to get hungry.

Orono comes alive during homecoming weekend and we like to take pride in our small community. The perfect way to do so is to go out to eat at the best restaurants in Orono. Show your parents just one more reason why Orono is the best!

4. Woodman’s Bar & Grill

31 Main Street, Orono

Woodman’s is a more formal type of restaurant. It does not look or feel like your usual bar and grill. The actual building is very small, it’s mostly just one big room. It really expresses just what Orono is all about, classy people, pool and good beer. Though it is on the expensive side, the food is fantastic. It ranges from burgers and filet mignon to salads and sandwiches.

My Favorite: Shrimp Napoli $17 – Shrimp is served with a thick pesto sauce, sun-dried tomatoes and mushrooms, over linguini. It’s served with garlic bread on the side.

3. Family Dog

6 Mill Street, Orono

“The Dog” is more relaxed than Woodman’s. You choose from a variety of hot dogs and burgers made exactly the way you want them. This is the perfect place for lunch. They even have a recently-built deck right outside giving you a perfect view of the river and the buzzing town.

My Favorite: Chicago Dog $3.50 – Served on a poppy seed bun, your dog comes with mustard, onions, relish, tomatoes, pickle spears, celery salt and sport peppers. And if that’s not enough, you can add a drink and fries for a dollar each. Affordable and delicious.

2. The Bear Brew Pub

36 Main Street, Orono

“The Brew” is the place to go at night for drinks and onion rings with the parents. They also have a deck giving you a view of the parking lot off Pine Street where you watch people aggressively fight for parking spots. Hey, it’s a small town, we work with what we’ve got to stay entertained.

My Favorite: Spinach Artichoke Dip Appetizer $10.50- A cheesy blend of artichokes and spinach served with garlic cheese bread.

The Cheese Lover Pizza, Small $11- Mozzarella, feta, parmesan and Gouda with a red sauce.

1. Pat’s Pizza

The famous Pat’s Pizza has been an Orono icon since 1931. People from all over the country come to little Orono, Maine just so they can eat at Pat’s Pizza. The prices are great here and it has the perfect “diner” feel.

My Favorite: Small Breadstick $2.75- The classic breadstick with cheese and special marinara sauce.

Deja Vu Pizza Small $9.25- One of Pat’s signature pizzas, the Deja Vu is covered in pesto, lite pizza cheese and cheddar cheese, tomatoes, chicken and basil.

Kate Berry is a fourth-year journalism major at the University of Maine in Orono. She loves reading about the latest trends and events.