35 Signs You Go to UMaine

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Maine chapter.

1.       You’ve been caught wearing Bean Boots with a party dress.

2.       You know that Thursday nights are either wild because you’re 21, or four hours of extreme FOMO because you’re underage

3.       Humans vs Aliens is both the best and the worst week of the semester.

4.       You know that the drive to Bangor Starbucks is THE MOVE on a Sunday morning.

5.       You have lived at the Grove for a year or more, and still don’t know if it’s Black Bear Lane or Black Bear Drive.

6.       When you see construction in the downtown Orono area, you automatically assume it’s going to be a bank.

7.       You know what day of the week it is only from OHOPs specials. (It’s not Monday. It’s 2-for-1 pizza day)

8.       You have run the red light on the corner of Park Street and College Ave because it stays red for approximately 15 minutes.

9.       Parking tickets are a badge of honor.

10.   You dedicate your Maine Day to the community…

11.   You know that last point is probably false, unless your community somehow benefits from you crushing beers in a lawn chair.

12.   You refuse to drive 25 mph on College Ave, despite the horror stories of hefty tickets.

13.   You still think that removing the parking permit from your rearview mirror qualifies you for visitor parking.

14.   You’ve purchased a “jumbo hot dog” at the Alfond, only to be disappointed in the realization that it’s actually just a $4 regular sized hot dog.

15.   Some of your fondest memories occurred at late night at Hilltop.

16.   You understand the frustration of having to scan your hand 50 times at a dining hall because your fingers are completely frozen.

17.   You got confused the first time someone told you to meet them at “the mall.”

18.   UMaine Crushes and Missed Connections is 60% of the reason you go to the gym.

19.   The hope that it will be warm enough to run around the Grove pool in a bikini in the last weeks of spring is the other 40%.

20.   You have never actually eaten the food you bring to the library in the Oakes Room.

21.   BUFF CHIX WEDNESDAY GIVES YOU LIFE.

22.   The $5 card minimum at Thriftway is a serious mood killer.

23.   Your life changed when you discovered that McDonalds accepts Bear Bucks.

24.   You roll your eyes at anyone who uses a blinker when turning on the road in front of Wells, even though you definitely did it the first few times you drove on campus.

25.  You have a story about the time you saw someone drive on the sidewalk of the mall.

26.    It took you a few tries to figure out how to get to the third floor of the library.

27.   You know that warmer weather means people will start going to class barefoot.

28.   You’ve been to free pizza night at Orchard Trails…even if you do not live at Orchard Trails.

29.   You’ve left a lecture after ten minutes because you forgot your clicker.

30.   The word “tempest” gives you anxiety.

31.   You cut through buildings on your walk to class so you don’t have to be outside the whole time. For most of the year, the air hurts your face.

32.   You never change your Maine Street password on time.

33.  You still don’t know if people are kidding when they post “lost glove, last seen outside Shibles Hall” announcements on First Class.

34.  You’ve freaked out because you saw a bunch of middle aged men at a frat party…then realized it’s alumni weekend. 

35.   You can’t wait to take a picture with your name on the screen in front of the Alfond when it’s graduation time.

Hannah began her involvement with Her Campus as a contributing writer for the UMaine chapter after transferring from Seton Hall University in 2013. Currently, she is the HC UMaine Campus Correspondent and a Chapter Advisor. She is also a staff writer at the University of Maine's student newspaper, The Maine Campus. As a fourth year Journalism student with an English minor, Hannah enjoys writing everything from hard news stories to GIF-filled listicles. In addition to her involvement with Her Campus, Hannah coaches a junior varsity high school cheerleading team. In her spare time, you can find Hannah sharing hair tips on her personal blog, obsessing over Justin Bieber and re-watching episodes of Gossip Girl.