Your candidates for this year’s student government

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Iowa chapter.

Student Elections are coming up within the next couple of days at the University of Iowa. As students, we have the power to decide who will represent us. Become informed and exercise your right to vote! Here’s some brief information about the two running parties. Get out and vote on April 8th and 9th! 

The REAL Party: Responsible, Empowering, Accessible, Leadership. They hope to expand the use of student IDs and meal plans (flex meals) for use at local restaurants around the campus. They will expand Cambus routes to include east side fraternities and sororities, as well as expand NiteRide to include males, making it accessible by all students. The REAL party will also push for a more simplified textbook purchasing system as well as make online transcripts free and accessable for students.

The president nominee for the REAL party is Liz Mills, a junior from Johnston, IA. She cares deeply about the student experience at the University of Iowa and is studying political science and spanish.

“Giving back to your community is so important,” Mills said. “Students should see their dedication reflected through an academic credit.”

Her running mate is Morgan Brittain, a junior from Winerset, IA. He is also studying political science as well as art history.

“I’m excited to expand the NiteRide program to all students,” Morgan said. “We care that the University of Iowa is a safe place for everyone.”

For more information about the REAL party, check out their website!

The BEACH party: Bettering, Educating, Advocating, Changing Our Home. They will work with multiple programs throughout the year to provide routine educational, training programs and planning awareness events to help students be active bystanders in campus safety. They will create an Iowa City Renters Guide for off-campus living including a “Know your Rights” section to help new renters understand their rights. The BEACH party will explore a semester long university wide buddy program in which domestic students are paired with an international organization.

The presidential nominee is Sam Wampler, a junior from Champaign, Illinois who is studying finance.

“My wish is to be elected student body president, so I can give back to the school I love.”

His running mate is Kolton Dahms, a junior from Morton, Illinois who is studying business analytics and information systems.

“We will work to better the safety on campus, educate students on mental health awareness, advocate and be a voice of the students, and change the university to ensure students feel at home.”

For more information about the BEACH party, check out their website.

Get out and vote, Hawkeyes. Go to their websites and become educated and informed about the parties platforms. It’s important to have an opinion and to voice it. Choose your representatives and let your voice be heard. VOTE! 

UIowa Journalism and Mass Communication Major Chi Omega
U Iowa chapter of the nation's #1 online magazine for college women.