samantha gades BlIhVfXbi9s unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
samantha gades BlIhVfXbi9s unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Why Everyone Should Work In The Service Industry

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Iowa chapter.

I have been working in the service industry since the day I turned 16, and let me tell you, people are… something. There are always those people who have never ran a tray of food or folded clothes a day in their lives, and it shows. I believe that it should be an unwritten rule that everyone has to work in customer service at least once in their lifetime. In my experience in the restaurant industry, I have learned and gained some invaluable skills that I feel are important for everyone to learn. 

1. Being efficient

I work at Texas Roadhouse, which is crazy busy in my hometown. The constant table turns keep you always moving, and if you feel like stopping, you’ll get pushed over. This teaches you how to work fast, but work well. It teaches you your strengths and weaknesses, and, although the beginning feels like you got thrown in the water and can’t swim, you’ll find your groove.

2. Being patient

Ah, patience. I am most definitely not a patient person: I open the microwave before it beeps, I can’t stand waiting at stoplights and I hate when people walk slowly in front of me. Serving has given me more patience and has made me less irritated with people, because I have to be. I can’t yell at a customer, or push them out of the way and standing pissed off behind a slow grandma isn’t going to make her go faster. Serving also gave me patience when it comes to people who don’t learn at a fast pace. Customers can be frustrating and not understand, and I have to repeat something to them four times, each time in the same cheerful voice. I’ve learned that getting upset during a shift doesn’t fix anything, so I try and breathe and be patient.  

3. Small talk

“Yes, it’s so nice outside,” or “no, I don’t know if it is supposed to stay nice for the rest of the week,” that was about the extent of my small talk skills when I came into this industry, which led to awkward, robotic conversations. I want my tables to feel like I’m someone more than just a server, kind of like a friend that is interested in their day. Learning this skill works outside of work. For example, when I go to the grocery store and an employee is talking to me, instead of just asking how they are, I can have a genuine conversation with a stranger.

4. Working with others

Companies in the real world are constantly searching for people who can work well with others. Although I am someone who is a bit of a control freak and would like to do it all independently, I just can’t. Working with 20 other servers around you can be frustrating, but there is always someone to grab you refills or run your food if you are behind. This environment teaches you to help out others when you can. When all of us work together, everything runs so much smoother than if we only worried about ourselves.

5. Dealing with rude people

This goes pretty hand-in-hand with patience, but having to deal with grumpy unthankful people often teaches you how to keep positive energy. If I could, I would love to snap on them. But I can’t, since the customers are always right, no matter how ignorant they are. This skill is going to be helpful for the future when I have to work with others. I’ll be able to talk through issues and compromise.

6. Empathy for others in the industry

I go out to eat a lot, and when I go with someone who doesn’t really understand how a restaurant operates or why the waitress isn’t pouring their glass with water as soon as it’s completely gone is frustrating. I am glad I have had the experience of working with the general public and being in their position because I know that things can go wrong. It is not always the server’s fault– but some people think it is. We just had a pipe burst while I was working and I apologized over and over to my tables; it’s not like I broke the pipe, but I would rather them not be blaming me in the moment.

7. How to tip

I always tip 20%, even if the service is not that great. If the service is great, I’ll tip higher. The most eye-opening thing that I’ve learned about since being a server is tipshare. For my job, our tipshare pays the hostesses and bussers. It is a percentage of our total sales from the day. What people don’t understand is that it is not a percentage of our tips, it is a percentage of how much I sold that day. So even if I don’t receive a tip on a check, I am still required to give a percentage of my tips from other tables to pay the hostesses and bussers in the restaurant. In a way, I’m paying for you to eat.

Working in the restaurant industry has tested me, but it has given me a lot in my life. While this is something I do not want to do for the rest of my life, I know I will use these skills I have learned for the rest of my life. I think everyone should work in customer service too improve their skills, and most importantly, to not be that person that is ignorant to what is happening.

Photos: cover, 1, 2, 3

Liz is President of Her Campus at Iowa, and has been in HC Iowa since her freshman year. Her favorite part about Her Campus is Her Conference in NYC each summer — she loves getting to meet other Girl Bosses! She is a junior at the University of Iowa pursuing a Communication Studies degree and is double-minoring in Business Administration and Psychology. Liz wants to be a Social Media Manager for a beauty or lifestyle brand in the future, and would love to move to a big city when she's done with college. In her free time, Liz shops (maybe a little too much), crafts, and watches beauty guru videos on Youtube. Instagram: @lizwarnerr
U Iowa chapter of the nation's #1 online magazine for college women.