Type A: How To Organize Your Life

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Iowa chapter.

I am a HUGE organization nerd. I love seeing different ways I can keep my life together. Unfortunately, I can’t always make myself commit to being organized for more than one week. Everything always seems too hard or too complicated, even though it will really only take me five minutes to clean or organize. However, after longingly looking at gorgeous planners and rooms on Pinterest and Buzzfeed, I feel like I’ve learned a lot, even if I don’t always follow the rules to a tee. Hopefully, this will be the year we’ll all finally get our lives (somewhat) together.

School

Color-coding

Try to keep all your folders, binders and spirals for each class in one color. It will be easier to grab them this way, when you don’t want to have to spend time searching for everything while you’re attempting to do homework. Your planner can also be color-coded; I use different colored pens for meetings, schoolwork, tests and quizzes, important things to remember and activities.

Using Your Planner

Actually keep your planner with you, whether it be in your purse, in your backpack or on your phone. It’s easier to write things down when you first find out about them, instead of trying (and failing) to remember them later. Some great planner apps for your phone are iStudiez Pro, Any.Do, Calvetica and MyHomework Student Planner. Don’t forget to use both the monthly and weekly/daily planners. You can keep it topical in the monthly pages, and add more details once you have more room with the weekly spaces.

Assignment Sheets

Make a one- or two-page assignment sheets that lists all of your assignments for the whole semester, so you can plan ahead when you have full days.

Taking Notes

Whether it’s on the computer or in a notebook by hand, it’s always a good idea to write down what is important to know for later. Recording lectures is great, too, as long as you remember to write them down later on.

Your Backpack

Keep your backpack stocked and organized—if you need help getting started, check out this article.

Cleaning

Do Your Chores

We’re all guilty of walking past the trash when it’s full or adding another shirt to a towering pile of laundry. It will literally take five minutes to take out the garbage or put your laundry into the washing machine. Just do your chores. It will make your life ten times easier.

Create a Budget

Budgeting sounds like the most boring thing in the entire world, but it’s still necessary to do. It may be tempting to buy another pair of leggings, but it’s probably better in the long run to save that money for textbooks, food or school supplies. You can still spend some money on fun stuff, just not all of it.

Keep It Tidy

You don’t have to be the neatest person in the world, but it’s still a great feeling to be able to flop onto your bed after a long day without having to shove that pile of clothes off of it.

Yourself

Relax

Just because your schedule is hectic doesn’t mean you shouldn’t take time to focus on yourself. Your grades, homework and clubs can wait for a second. Breathe. Close your eyes. Just relax.

Take Time for Yourself

Busy schedules might not seem like they would allow it, but it’s important to squeeze in a few hours to do something that focuses on you. Whether it’s reading a book, going shopping, working out or going for a hike, make yourself happy.

Rachel Green is a senior Journalism and Mass Communication Major at the University of Iowa. She is also earning two minors in Sport and Recreation Management and Spanish and a certificate in Creative Writing. She serves at Her Campus Iowa's Senior Editor, and is a member of Iowa's editorial team. When she's not working on something for Her Campus, she can be found studying in the library, doodling in her sketchbooks or curling up with a cup of tea and a book.  
U Iowa chapter of the nation's #1 online magazine for college women.