Success: As Told by Sophia Bush and Kim K’s Instagrams

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Iowa chapter.

In recent years, Instagram has seemingly taken over the Internet. We’re judging books not by their covers, but by their Instagram photos. We gather information on an individual or group’s personality, activities, interests and accomplishments to create an idealistic picture of who they really are. We frame ourselves on social media. We offer the world a usually narrow insight into what we’re up to. However, celebrities seem to be sharing more and more and gaining louder voices, speaking alongside mass media and celebrity gossip columnists. Social media has allowed them to create their own public personal lives. They are posting pictures of their kids, goofy selfies, risqué images and PJ pics.

Although she may have 49 million less followers than Mrs. Kanye West, Sophia Bush is becoming increasingly well known for her activism, her business sense, her acting chops and her “real” sense of feminism. Within the last few years, Bush landed a lead role as Detective Lindsay on “Chicago PD,” a refreshing reemergence into the acting field following her trademark time spent as Brooke Davis on the CW’s “One Tree Hill.” Bush also co-founded the beauty brand I Smell Great and spends her limited free time as an animal rights and women’s rights activist.

Kim Kardashian West and her family have made quite a name for themselves through their E! television series and subsequent infiltration into Hollywood society. Events like Kim and Kris Humphries’ divorce, Bruce becoming Kaitlyn, Lamar Odom’s near death coma and Scott Disick’s never ending antics are still fresh in our minds. The media loves them; the Kardashians are always providing the world with cringe- and gossip-worthy moments.

Kim is arguably the most famous Kardashian/Jenner sister. That being said, people look up to her, and young girls are trying to model themselves after her by copying the way she dresses, wears her makeup, does her hair, and lives her life. The money she has, the man she is married to and the celebrity status she has accumulated are all becoming reasons why her life is so coveted. Young girls and women see her lifestyle as what successful looks like. As a young college woman, I see success to mean something very different. 

Success is cultivating a talent. 

A 16 hour work day vs a half-naked FaceTime interview. 

Success is activism.

Standing for an important movement vs image actually not available. 

Success is believing in the future.

Joining the conversation vs adding to the selfie collection.

Success is how you spend your time (or your birthday).

Spending her birthday in Uganda, exploring perspectives vs a rented out theater and a million white roses. 

Success is promoting yourself well.

Promoting mind and body health vs promoting, well, body. 

Success is a diverse career.

Becoming an entrepreneaur vs becoming a virtual dress up doll. 

Success is empowering yourself and others.

Using celebrity to show that individual beauty is enough vs using celebrity to show the ta tas are enough to get on the Rolling Stone cover. 

Often, we overlook the small things that go into being a role model. We sometimes forget about ideas like inner beauty and ambition. Instead we look up to those who seem to have it all on the outside, like wealth and celebrity. Instagram offers a little glimpse into the private lives of those we watch on TV and read about in magazines. But if pictures really speak a thousand words, maybe what these two ladies are posting really are speaking the chapters of their lives.

As young college women, we all hope to find success in whatever we choose to do. I see success not as the good fortune you’ve been given, but the good fortune you spread around to others. Everyone has their own unique version of success that they lust after. Never lose sight of what yours is. Is it a pair of Louboutins and a nude spread in Paper Magazine, or is it the chance to have a career you love and a passion for sharing your heart around the world? 

(All images courtesy of instagram.com)

University of Iowa sophomore majoring in Journalism and Engaged Social Innovation. Member of Alpha Chi Omega sorority. Hospitality newbie. Reader, writer, and wanderluster. At least that's what I want my business card to say.
U Iowa chapter of the nation's #1 online magazine for college women.