This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Iowa chapter.

Honestly we’re #blessed to live in Iowa City. It’s not only a major college town, but it’s also pretty hard to go anywhere with out seeing someone you know. This can be both a blessing and a curse, but it makes for a home-away-from-home feeling. That being said, it’s easy to get comfortable, take it for granted and get a little sloppy. In light of the recent disappearance, and alleged suicide, of University of Minnesota senior, Jen Houle, there is no better time to bring attention to all of the outlets of safety the University and city has to offer.

Whether it’s been you or it’s been your best friend, it’s safe to say that most collegiate women have encountered a situation that’s less than safe during a night on the town. While it’s easy to laugh it off, it can be hard to see the danger we actually put ourselves in. So let’s take a look at what our favorite B1G school has to offer for nightlife safety.

• Plan of Action– Sometimes it’s as simple as that. Make a plan before you head downtown and more importantaly…FOLLOW THROUGH. Know a general plan of where you’re headed. Often times the best nights are unplanned, so if something comes up make sure at least one of your friends knows. You can still be go-with-the-flow while still staying safe.
  • Nite Ride- Oh, handy dandy Nite Ride. If you don’t already know, Nite Ride is a campus service that offers safe (and free) transportation from any campus building. It’s available to women only and runs between 10 p.m. and 6 a.m. What’s even better is that they’ll pick you up from the lib after a long night of flashcards and coffee (a.k.a. save this number in your phone (319) 384-1111).
  • Cab-Whether you have Kev on speed dial or prefer Big Ten Taxi, it’s never a bad idea to have a cab company readily available for that last minute ride home. That being said…
  • Charged Cell Phone-Never leave your place without a fully charged phone (or at least a way to charge your phone). There’s almost nothing worse than being stranded with no way to get in touch with the friends you originally went out with or to find a ride home.
  • Blue Button– Up until recently I had no clue these were a thing. Our campus is equipped with 24 Code Blue Phones. With just the single push of a button, officers are alerted of a dangerous situation within 60 seconds. Pushing the button triggers a blue strobe light on top of a 9-foot pole to signify danger. They’re strategically placed throughout campus so check out this map to find out if there’s one near you!
  • Buddy System- It’s been drilled into our head since preschool, but the buddy system is still around folks. You should never go anywhere alone at night. Being with a friend means someone else to watch out for, witness or maybe even stop any sketchy activity. Plus who likes to go out alone?

Tragedy is unavoidable, and in the case of Jen Houle we can do little but mourn the loss of a fellow B1G student. As our hearts remain heavy, we can learn from her experience and raise awareness for nightlife safety. College is supposed to be the time of our lives and no one should be expected to live in a bubble. Chances are, we’re all going to have a rough night or two, but always keep in mind what your university has to offer in terms of safety and use your resources. There’s three weeks left friends. Enjoy it while it lasts and stay responsible. 

U Iowa chapter of the nation's #1 online magazine for college women.