This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Iowa chapter.

It’s that time of month again: the time to talk about what musical obsessions we have been talking about!

Madness“- Muse

I feel like this is a song that you find really weird at first, but then you listen to a of couple more times and suddenly you’re pretty much obsessed. We’re currently covering this song in my a cappella group right now, and I just love how it sounds so mysterious and dark, yet it’s super catchy. Give it a few tries and you might like it. 

FRIENDS“- Anne Marie and Marshmello

I know some of these songs aren’t the exact latest, but sometimes you just find the gems later on in the year. I was obsessed with this song for the longest time. It’s so catchy- and let’s not forget Anne-Marie’s voice. It fits with the song. It’s a song that I’d get ready for the day and feel like a boss, while I sing looking in the mirror. Guilty. 

Familiar“- Liam Payne and J Balvin

This is a newish song. The first time I listened to it, I thought the beat was catchy and it immediately became one of my monthly favorites. It’s such a fun song to listen to when you need something to listen to in the background.

No Tears Left to Cry“- Ariana Grande

After being away from us for awhile, Ariana Grande is back! You think this song is going to be a slow song that you can pretend to cry to and miss the soulmate you never had, but it quickly turns into a song to dance to.

Pentatonix Top Pop-Volume 1

Being a huge a cappella fan, naturally Pentatonix’s new album had to be on this list. It’s an album that definitely shows how they’ve gone back to their roots, covering awesome versions of the latest songs. My personal favorite of this album is a mashup between the songs “New Rules” by Dua Lipa and “Are You That Somebody” by Aaliyah. Can we just appreciate how talented these singers are for making music with their mouths?! They’re just so great. 

Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Ridhima Jagtap is a college newbie, a.k.a a freshman, working towards a degree in the field of journalism. You'll often find her chasing after cats and watching adorable cat videos on YouTube. If she's not doing this then she'll be singing her lungs out so that her whole floor can hear her. She hopes to blow people away with writing what she's passionate about. Books, music and a lot of animals!
U Iowa chapter of the nation's #1 online magazine for college women.