Meet Tara Lauritsen: UI Dance Club President

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Iowa chapter.

“I’ve been a dancer my whole life and when I came to college I knew I didn’t want to give it up. When I learned about the UIowa Dance Club I signed up as fast as I could and it was definitely the best decision I’ve made!”

The University of Iowa Dance Club is a student organization where members can continue their passion for dance through studio-like classes in the styles of jazz, hip-hop, lyrical, and tap.

Meet Tara Lauritsen, a 21 year old senior from Fox River Grove, Illinois, who is the President of the UI Dance Club and also the tap captain.

What are you studying here at the University of Iowa?

Finance & business analytics double major with a mathematics minor.

How long have you been dancing?

I have been dancing since I was in elementary school I danced at Cary-Grove Performing Arts Centre.

When did you realize you had a passion for tap?

I realized I had a passion for tap when I was about 11 years old. It came very easy to me and I absolutely loved being able to make music with my feet. Challenging myself to create new rhythms and patterns made me so happy.

Tara’s tap class

What is the most rewarding part about being the President of Dance Club?

The most rewarding part of being president of Dance Club would have to be seeing members share their love of dance with each other while challenging each other to be the best they can be. Seeing friendships form between two people who otherwise might not have met, makes me so happy.

When is the Dance Club Benefit Show?

This year The University of Iowa Dance Club’s 5th Annual Benefit Show will be held on Sunday, May 3rd at 6:30pm. Doors open at 6:00pm. It will showcase 15 pieces choreographed by our captains as well as 6 guest performances. We have hip hop, tap, jazz, and lyrical pieces and tickets are $5 each. All proceeds from the show go towards the DEA Youth program.

University of Iowa Dance Club 2014-2015

** If you are interested in being more involved with the Dance Club auditions & interviews for the 2015-2016 Executive Board and Captains/Assistant Captains will be held on Thursday, April 30th at the fieldhouse!

U Iowa chapter of the nation's #1 online magazine for college women.