How to Stay Productive During the Summer

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Iowa chapter.

School’s out for summer, and for many, that means it’s time to take a break and do nothing for three months.

But you definitely don’t want your brain to turn to mush before you head back to school in the fall. While it’s easy to slip into a rhythm of sleeping in until noon, marathoning your newest Netflix obsession all day and curling up in bed in the early hours of the morning to repeat everything the next day, it’s more rewarding to be productive and make the most of your summer.

Get a job or an internship

Who doesn’t love a little extra cash? Even though a summer job may not be ideal, it can still teach you a lot of important lessons about the workplace that will be useful in your future career. Whether it be customer service skills, patience or how to answer the phone, there’s a high chance that you’ll have to use those skills again sometime in the future. Besides, even if your summer job sucks, you’ll have some great stories to tell your friends once school starts up again. 

An internship is even more beneficial, especially if it’s in an area or with a company that is closely tied to your career path. You’ll gain valuable experience, and it’ll look great on your resume when you start applying for jobs. Sometimes, an internship can also lead to a job if the company feels you fit in well and that you work well.

Take a class or two

There are tons of students who take summer classes in order to get ahead in school. Classes are available at many different universities and community colleges across the nation, and it’s easy to find classes that can transfer over to your school. No matter if you decide to take a class related to your major or you decide to take a class just because it sounds interesting, you will gain some well-earned knowledge. 

Get fit

Try to take advantage of the nice weather to start working out more often. Run around your block, do some yoga in your backyard, do whatever kind of fitness fits your lifestyle best. Make it a summer full of sweat for yourself, and maybe get some of your friends to join in with you. 

Even if the outdoors aren’t your favorite place in the world, indoor workouts (with or without a gym) are just as effective. 

Volunteer

Whatever your interest lies in, volunteer for a cause you believe in. There are always spots open for volunteers at hospitals, nursing homes, animal shelters and other volunteer hot spots. Not only will volunteering look great on your resume, but it will also make you feel great for helping out your community. 

Develop a new skill

You have a few months to yourself with no crazy responsibilities, so you may as well use it to hone in on a skill. Have you always wanted to learn how to paint? Want to learn how to skateboard? What about playing a musical instrument? This is your opportunity to spend time teaching yourself and practicing something you would love to be able to do.

Photos: cover1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Rachel Green is a senior Journalism and Mass Communication Major at the University of Iowa. She is also earning two minors in Sport and Recreation Management and Spanish and a certificate in Creative Writing. She serves at Her Campus Iowa's Senior Editor, and is a member of Iowa's editorial team. When she's not working on something for Her Campus, she can be found studying in the library, doodling in her sketchbooks or curling up with a cup of tea and a book.  
U Iowa chapter of the nation's #1 online magazine for college women.