katie harp dRCjgmc4B8I unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
katie harp dRCjgmc4B8I unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

How To Save Money in Iowa City Using Pocket Points

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Iowa chapter.

Everyone has heard the “poor broke college student” stereotype, as is the case with most stereotypes, this one is based on truth. Even if you’re not flat broke, I’ve yet to meet a collegiate who wasn’t at least excited about saving a few dollars. Great news, though. There is a super easy way to save money in lovely Iowa City, just an app download away! Pocket Points is a free (yay!) app designed to help students focus by providing incentives for refraining from cell phone use on-campus. 

So, how does it work?

Pocket Points functions on a point-based system, and the first step to gaining points it to be on-campus. You have to have your location on, so the app can recognize you’re on the U of I campus! Second, once you get all cozied up in your corner of the library or all settled in your seat during a lecture, lock your phone and let the points add up! It takes a little while gain a point, but eventually you’ll have garnered enough points to purchase an incentive prize.

What are these incentives?

Fabulous question! They’re coupons for online and local busineses. Iowa City has partnered with Pocket Points to provide some amazing deals at some of the best vendors. The coupons are spectacular, usually either a precentage off or a BOGO deal or even a free item! The incentives can be for food or retail locations. The online coupons are primarly clothes and accessories. Pictured below are some of my favorite Iowa City incentives. All you have to do is pick your coupon and click “purchase”! So easy! Gone are the days of cutting coupons out from magazines. Just a friendly reminder: all incentives must be used within 24 hours of the purhcase time, otherwise they expire. You don’t want to waste your hard earned pocket points.

Revival 119 is the pedmall in downtown Iowa City. They have the cutest clothes, decor and jewelry! Who doesn’t want to save a little money on a post-workout smoothie from the Rec? 

PRO-TIP

Once you’ve read this little article, download the app and click on the menu tab. Under “free points,” you’ll find a promo code to give your friends so that when they download the app, you’ll get free points! 

Isabella is a student at the University of Iowa majoring in both Psychology and Gender, Women, & Sexuality Studies with a minor in Human Relations. She is a self proclaimed cheesecake enthusiast, flower child, and feminist. Isabella is low key obsessed with Cosmo and one of her life's ambitions is to have an article published by their online magazine. If she were a Sex & The City character she would be Miranda, because not everyone can be Carrie.
U Iowa chapter of the nation's #1 online magazine for college women.