How To: Keep Your Skin Fresh and Smooth During Winter Months

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Iowa chapter.

Our beautiful and bronzed skin is suddenly overshadowed by dull complexion and scaly legs. This is what the cold and blustery months of winter leave us with. As we get bundled up in our puffy jackets, fleece scarves and leather gloves, the sub-zero winds still mess with us. Let me guess—you are faced with some dreadful beauty emergencies. Let’s begin with your hands: they are chapped and clammy. Your face? I would say dry and flaky in certain areas with a possible and appalling blemish here and there. Let’s not forget your complexion: dull and pale—missing some sun-kissed glow! Your arms? The skin that once felt incredibly silky and smooth is replaced with red, itchy and flaky looking blotches. Your legs? Well I am sure your boyfriend has refrained from giving you a nice leg and foot massage due to the snake-like skin that has taken over your luscious gams. Ladies, do not fear! Below are some award-winning products that will lead you to smooth and flake-free skin.

For chapped and cracked skin:

These winter months leave your hands begging for a little TLC. If you face chapped and damaged skin, try L’Occitane Hand Cream. This cream helps to repair by seeping down deep into the skin. An added plus? Unlike many creams, this one is very absorbent and will not leave a greasy topcoat of excess lotion.

For dry and sensitive skin:

Before we get to the products—first and foremost, remember that long, hot showers can have a negative effect on your skin. Too much water can contribute to even drier skin, so resort to quick and temperate showers (it will also help your water bill!). Also remember to moisturize immediately after! To help a dry and sensitive face, I recommend Cetaphil Daily Facial Cleanser. This award-winning and dermatologist tested cleanser helps battle flaky and dried out skin. To really enhance your look with a healthy glow, try Cetaphil Daily Facial Moisturizer. A moisturizer is always key to keep skin fresh and hydrated—this particular formula is super light-weight and non-greasy which is a great combo!

For dull complexion:

I know sometimes some of you wake up wishing for sun-kissed skin and rosy cheeks. And then look in the mirror and see your face is still pale and begging for some liveliness. Avoid tanning and take the safer route with: Jergens Natural Glow Healthy Complexion Daily Facial Moisturizer. This product works to protect the skin from the sun with a subtle skin darkening enhancement. Aside from protection, Jergen’s provides every woman with a youthful and sun-kissed glow!

For blotchy red skin:

The freezing temperatures and blowing winds may cause your skin a heavy beating. The inside heat does not help either! Due to the varying temperatures, small red blotch-like spots may appear on your upper/lower arms. If you suffer these winter spots or want to soften up your beat up skin try: The Body Shop’s Shea Body Butter. This rich cream settles vitamins A and E deep into your skin leaving it silky and smooth!

For scaly snake-like skin:

Just about 4 short months ago, you were walking to class in a stylish romper and showing off your smooth, tan legs. Now….they are covered in denim jeans and knee-high winter boots. If your pasty white and rough legs could use a pick-me-up, try: Johnson’s Softlotion Nourishing Renewal Lotion. Johnson’s isn’t only keeping babies skin soft as ever—now it can work for you! This will keep those gams soft and moist all day long—try to apply at least twice a day!

And remember to always exfoliate at least once a week! During these last brooding months, keep your skin hydrated and fresh! Good luck ladies!

Nicole Lumbreras is a junior at University of Iowa, class of 2012, studying Journalism and Sociology. Born and raised in the suburbs of Chicago, Nicole loves to explore new restaurants, see live music and attend sporting events. Nicole loves to travel, dance, write in her blog and takes pleasure in the art of photography. Nicole loves to spend time with her friends and family, and when time allows she will get her fill of Bad Girls Club, Glee, So You Think You Can Dance, and Grey's Anatomy. Nicole recently got foot surgery and rediscovered running; her goal is to run a half marathon before she is 25. After college she plans to move into the city (Chicago) with a American bulldog, attend graduate school at night and hopefully write for Chicago Magazine or another fun and upcoming project.