How To Fit In Once You’re In

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Iowa chapter.

Recruitment is finally over! You are now a part of your dream sorority with the sisters you imagined meeting since high school graduation. All of the stories you have heard about meeting your bridesmaids before your groom to forming lifelong friendships can now be memories you cherish for the rest of your life.

Joining a sorority can be both intimidating and thrilling. At this point in your journey you are proabbly asking yourself, “Did I pick the right sorority?” This question is running through every new members’ head, so don’t let thoughts like this make you feel like you aren’t a great fit. You are a part of your sorority for a reason, remember that.

Read these tips on things you can be doing, as a new member, to ease your transition and boost your condfidence to make you feel that you are right where you belong.   

-Be present at chapter meetings. This is the easiest way to meet and recognize new sisters in your pledge class. Even spending an hour a week at chapter and new member meetings will help you to put names to faces, faces to personalities, and personalities to friends.

-Attend sisterhoods. These events are great when connecting to your sisters on a personal level, and they will encourage you to get out of your comfort zone and try something new. It’s never a bad idea to take a break from the stress, pressure, and strain of schoolwork to kick back and have a fun with your sisters.

“Don’t be afraid to reach out of your comfort zone, you won’t be satisfied with your experience if you don’t,” said Josie Delgado, a 2012 pledge class member in Alpha Phi.

-Hang out at the house. Don’t be intimidated to eat lunch, study or watch movies at your sorority’s house. Spending time at the house means you love it, and your live-in sisters will know that you can and will make time for them and like to be around them.

“When I was a new member, I would go to the house for dinner and sit and talk to the older members. I would invite other girls from my pledge class, too. That’s how I met my group of friends,” said Katerina Martin, a 2013 pledge class member in Kappa Alpha Theta.

-Hang outside of the house. Build up enough courage to ask a groups of sisters to get lunch or reserve a study room. This is a great way to get to know your sisters as friends and not just members of your sorority. Pick a movie night on the weekend, check out Formosa’s sushi specials, or take a trip to the mall. Find something that you all have in common beside the house you are in.

“Don’t ever say no. If someone invites you to do something with them, suck it up and go do it. You’ll regret it if you turn them down,” said Delgado.

-Don’t forget the older pledge classes. You might be a freshman or a sophomore, but that doesn’t mean that older members don’t want to meet you as well. Try to branch out, because the older members can help with any questions you may have about outfit choices, or anything in general. They are wise!

-Run for a position. This is the best way to be recognized by members of all pledge classes. Holding a position means that you are committed and a leader in your sorority, and that you are a responsible and helpful sister. It’s good to have this reputtation. Your sisters will trust and respect you.

-Be the best you that you can be. Be helpful, be kind, be humble, be present. Always remember that your sisters are there for you through anything, but you need to show them first that you can reciprocate. Showing your good side is always encouraged, but it’s also okay if you need a shoulder to cry on or someone to walk you home at the end of the night. No one is perfect and your sisters will always understand that.

Keep these tips in mind and you’ll never have to question your place in your sorority again!

Studying journalism and political science at the University of Iowa. Interested in magazine reporting and writing, health and fitness, blogging, and photography.
U Iowa chapter of the nation's #1 online magazine for college women.