How To: Create a Perfectly Stocked Kitchen

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Iowa chapter.

Between classes, partying, work and relaxing to save your sanity, grocery shopping and cooking in college always seems like an after thought. We resort to boxed mac and cheese, frozen pizzas and Jimmy Johns just to save some time and money; but as a result, we compromise our health and probably waste more money than we think.  Luckily, becoming a top chef (at least in your apartment) is a simple and fun process that in the end will leave your friends and boyfriend immensely impressed. Start by buying a beginners cookbook—Martha Stewart Living Cookbook is a good choice because it is straightforward and has great pictures—and then stock your kitchen with these necessary ingredients. Most of the ingredients below are long lasting and can be used in an abundance of dishes.  Soon, you’ll soon be saying “Bon Appetit” every night.

Herbs & Oils

1. Herbes de Provence: This is a mixture of basic savory seasonings (thyme, basil, rosemary and fennel) that can be used in just about any dish.  It’s perfect in soups, stews, pasta, atop poultry or grilled vegetables and fish.   
  2. Extra Virgin Olive Oil: This oil is a great replacement for other cooking oils, such as canola, because it has important health benefits.  Not only does it provide the body with necessary oleic acid, it also can lower cholestoral and has anti-inflammatory agents. Use it as a base in pastas and pan fries.
  3. Modena Balsamic Vinegar: Olive oil’s BFF, balsamic vinegar can be paired with just about any meat, sauce, fruit, salad, and cheese.
  4. Black Peppercorn: Sea Salt’s significant other. Use a grinder to put peppercorn atop any dish. 
  5. Bay Leaves: Also a great addition to soups and stews (both of which are easy to make, are healthy, and can be frozen for long periods of time).
  6. Sesame Seed Oil: Another healthy oil, you’ll find sesame seed oil in many Asian cuisine recipes (which are generally fast to make, due to the stir fry process).
  7. Sea salt: Tastier and healthier than table salt. 
  8. Champagne White Wine Vinegar/Rice Wine Vinegar: Also used in marinates for meat.  Can be paired with oils to make dressings for veggies. 

Produce: The ingredients below are the most common and versatile of products that are used in almost every culture’s dishes.

1. Fresh Garlic, clove
  2. Tomato Paste
  3. Red Gold Diced Tomato: Can be paired with tomato paste, any produce or herbs above to make a yummy, healthy home-made sauce.
  4. Celery: Not just for ants-on-a-log.
  5.  Carrots
  6. Lemons
  7. Yellow Onions, Red Onions or Shallots

Dairy

1. Greek Yogurt: Used Greek Yogurt as a replacement for sour cream or other creams in recipes, it has a really unique taste and is fast becoming one of the most popular yogurts in America.
  2. Parmesan and Goat Cheese or Feta: All of these cheeses last long periods of time and can be used in salads, pasta, or with veggies and meats. The possibilities are endless.

Grain

1. Brown Rice: Healthier and more substantive than white rice.
  2. Linguini: Because of its shape, linguini can be used with a wide variety of sauces, unlike other pasta shapes. 

Broths & Nuts

1. Chicken Broth (low sodium, organic): A basic base in many recipes.
  2. Vegetable Broth: An alternative to chicken broth for vegetarians.
  3.  Dijon Mustard: Good as an additive in just about anything (especially mac and cheese! Shhh!)
  4. Sliced Almonds, walnuts, pine nuts: All three of these nuts can be added to pasta sauces and numerous dishes and also offer many health benefits.

Nicole Lumbreras is a junior at University of Iowa, class of 2012, studying Journalism and Sociology. Born and raised in the suburbs of Chicago, Nicole loves to explore new restaurants, see live music and attend sporting events. Nicole loves to travel, dance, write in her blog and takes pleasure in the art of photography. Nicole loves to spend time with her friends and family, and when time allows she will get her fill of Bad Girls Club, Glee, So You Think You Can Dance, and Grey's Anatomy. Nicole recently got foot surgery and rediscovered running; her goal is to run a half marathon before she is 25. After college she plans to move into the city (Chicago) with a American bulldog, attend graduate school at night and hopefully write for Chicago Magazine or another fun and upcoming project.