This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Iowa chapter.

Christmas has come again, which means it’s time to spend every penny that you own on gifts that you hope someone likes. If you’re anything like me, you always say you won’t spend a lot on everyone, but shortly realize that your “$20-50” price limit for each person has turned into over $200 dollars spent. We’re in college, we don’t have $200 dollars to spend! It’s a good thing that I finally found some great gifts for a low cost.

1. Fuzzy socks

Okay, yeah. Fuzzy socks are amazing. Although they may seem a bit overdone, you can never have too many socks. Not only can you find these socks for $1 dollar at Target, but you can also get them for small stocking stuffers. Nothing says Merry Christmas like a good pair of warm, fuzzy socks!

2. Candles

Although Bath and Body Works candles are amazing, $24 dollars is a bit steep for one candle (with the exception of the random sales). Luckily, there are lots of other places that sell candles. For only $2, you can find candles at IKEA. They may not have as wide of a variety B&BW, but they do offer a decent selection. For stocking stuffers or for friends/family who love candles, order five! It will only cost you $10!

3. Gift Cards

Some people may think that gift cards aren’t a great gift, but if you’re like me and love food and coffee but not the price, they make a pretty good gift! To keep the cost down low, I suggest that you set your budget as a high of $20. Put $5 on four gift cards, so that way they have a wide variety of places to use them. Although $5 isn’t a ton, it can get you a long way at some places! A free drink at Starbucks, a free sandwich at subway or even a few bucks off on something practical from Amazon!

4. A “Love Your Melon” hat

Everyone loves the “Love Your Melon” hats. The best part about them? Part of the money goes to kids with cancer! Although you can get hats for much cheaper than $30, think of it as a way to donate money while giving a great gift at Christmas. It is two gifts in one, one gift to a friend/family, the other to a child fighting for their life.

5. Massage

Massages aren’t cheap. So why are these on this list? If you buy a $90 massage, but split it three ways with your siblings or your parents for your sibling, that means you would pay only $30 dollars. This is a great gift for mom, dad, boyfriend, sister or literally anyone who is stressed out. The more people who are in to pay for it, the less you pay, too!

6. Kylie Lip Kits

Kylie Jenner’s cosmetics have taken over the internet. Not only does Kylie’s formula stay on your lips all day long, but she also sells her lip kits relatively cheap. You can get a single lipstick (without the liner) for only $17. Kylie also has sales, which include buy-one-get-one, free shipping and 40% off. Compared to her biggest competitor, Kat Von D, who sells her lipsticks for $20. Three dollars isn’t a huge difference, but around the holidays every penny counts!

7. Clothes

Clothes are a somewhat basic gift to get, but they never fail. Of course, some clothes aren’t as cheap as we would hope. My suggestion is to go to your closest outlet malls and try to find the best deals possible. Nike, Express and even Coach can have some good deals at outlet malls. Next time you go shopping, try hitting the outlets before the local mall.

8. Board Games

If you have a friend who enjoys staying in more rather than going out, then a board game is the perfect gift for them. Games are usually pretty cheap, ranging anywhere from $5-25. This means you could most likely get two games without breaking the bank. Not only is it a gift to them, but it’s also a gift to you because you can stay in and play it with them!

9. Wine

Do you have a secret Santa, but have no clue what to get them? And the price limit is $15? No worries, wine is always a great option! Most bottles of wine range from $6-25. Not only is it cheap, but it’s a gift that will help them relax. Doesn’t everyone enjoy lying in bed with a glass of wine and watching Netflix?

10. Marshalls/T.J. Maxx/ Home Goods

Although this isn’t an exact gift, these stores will never fail you when it comes to cheap gifts. Looking for something designer for your sister, but you can only spend a maximum of $50? These stores will have prices so low that you may only have to spend $30 on a pair of Michael Kors shoes. Your mother wants new cooking utensils? Home Goods will have sets for a high of $20. These stores are guaranteed to give you great gifts at low prices.

Good luck shopping, colliegettes!

Photos: Cover, 1, 2, 3, 4,  

My name is Claudia Jannes, and I am a junior at the University of Iowa! I am a English and creative writing major in hopes to become a high school English teacher. I am thankful for her campus for giving me a voice on campus and on the internet!
U Iowa chapter of the nation's #1 online magazine for college women.