A Graduate’s Advice to a Freshman

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Iowa chapter.

It’s that time of the year– time for seniors to graduate and freshmen to start preparing for their big move to college. Moving to college is an enormous and sometimes overwhelming change in a student’s life. Luckily freshmen…you aren’t alone. Every senior was a freshman at one point and they all learned valuable lessons in their four years, many of which they wish they had known when they started college.  So to help you start preparing for your first year at the University of Iowa, twelve Iowa grads have given some essential pieces of advice that can help not only freshmen, but all college students. 

From Tori Rausch, a senior graduating with a degree in Health and Human Physiology on the Health Studies track and a minor in Psychology.

1.) “Don’t be afraid to change your major, even more than once. It’s the rest of your life ahead of you. I hardly knew myself at 18, and am just learning at 22 what I want in a career. Go with your gut and don’t be afraid to find what you’re passionate about.”

From Ellandrea McKissack, a senior graduating with a degree in English and a minor in Design and Mass Communication. 

2.) “Be an advocate for yourself! Now matter what you advisor, parents, or teachers say do your own research as well. Be able to have background information and ask questions, you are the one pursuing the degree.”

From Lindsey Shelter, another graduating senior who majored in Graphic Design. 

3.) “The cheesy saying of “getting involved” is something you should really consider. My first year at Iowa I joined a non-profit organization called the 10,000 Hours Show and it was one of the best decisions I’ve made during my college career. Being able to gain any experience that can relate to your major not only builds your resume but seriously helps you gain confidence in your social and technical skills. Through the organization, I was able to network and make so many connections / friendships that will go beyond my time at the university.” 

From Lena Giron, another senior graduating with a degree in Health and Human Physiology on the Health Studies track. 

4.) “Get involved! Be sure to prioritize. It’s important to be able to balance your social life and your education. Meeting new people and getting involved is just as important as your education. It helps you grow not only as an individual, but as a professional as well!”

From Lucy Libe, a senior graduating this summer who is majoring in Psychology and minoring in Human Relations.

5.) “Make sure you stay in touch with your advisor and always meet with them before every semester and use the resources Iowa offers. There are so many resources the university offers…take advantage of those opportunities.”

From Paige Gee, a senior graduating with a degree in Interdepartmental Studies- Health Studies. 

6.) “Use the extra credits you need to graduate towards another major or a minor or a certificate; you’re paying for the classes you take so make them count. There’s still enough credits to take those easy joke classes, but make sure you know you’ll enjoy them! They’ll make the semester a lot easier, such as finding a class that is almost like a hobby. Like photography or art, something you enjoy.”

From Cody Embree, a senior graduating with a degree in Social Work.

7.) Don’t become too overwhelmed and let stress get the best of you. There will be weeks where you have multiple papers, tests, presentations, etc. all due at the same time, but just realize it WILL get done. Take it one step at a time. Also, don’t be afraid to try new things and meet new people. Some of the best friends I have I’ve met in college. The next four years go by in the blink of an eye; enjoy yourself and don’t wish time away.

From Luke Anderson, a senior graduating with a degree in International Studies.

8.) “Don’t procrastinate. Actually do your work. Spread it out over time, so it doesn’t accumulate to right before you need to do it. And try to get to know some of your teachers, they can actually be really nice and helpful.”

From Chris Coble, an Iowa senior who would’ve been graduating with a degree in Geoscience, but has decided to go back and double major in Biochemistry, as well.

9.) Don’t worry so much about what you want to do your first and second year of school, at this point you should be trying to figure this out. Put yourself out there and try as many things that interest you as possible…do research projects, join clubs, talk to professors and take electives that interest you. Eventually, you will find something that you are 1) good at 2) interested in and 3) can be useful for yourself as well as society as a whole. If you lock yourself in your room all year and only do your school work then you miss out on a big part of college, building connections and experiences that can be used to help with your future. Once you get to your junior year you should have narrowed down your focus somewhat and have a decent idea of what you are good at and interested in. 

From John Carter, a graduate student who is graduating with his MBA and also graduated with a degree in Business from Iowa in 2008.

10.) “Take classes that challenge you. It’s more important to actually learn something and be used to having to work hard than it is to just get an ‘A’.”

From Nicole Frye, an Iowa alumni who graduated in 2012 with a degree in Entrepreneurial Managment. 

11.) “Go to every campus event possible, join clubs, study hard to get the GPA you deserve and try not to miss out on too many parties. College is about taking it all in. Try to say “yes” to as much as you can. You can sleep after you graduate!”

From Jacob Kinkner, an Iowa alumni who graduated in 2013 with a degree in History and Anthropology. 

12).“Become the person you want to be, and don’t be the pereson you are unless the person you are is something you can be happy with.

This is a quote by David McCullough that Jacob said helped to better explain his piece of advice. 

“Climb the mountain not to plant your flag, but to embrace the challenge, enjoy the air and behold the view.  Climb it so you can see the world, not so the world can see you.  Go to Paris to be in Paris, not to cross it off your list and congratulate yourself for being worldly.  Exercise free will and creative, independent thought not for the satisfactions they will bring you, but for the good they will do others, the rest of the 6.8 billion–and those who will follow them.  And then you too will discover the great and curious truth of the human experience is that selflessness is the best thing you can do for yourself.  The sweetest joys of life, then, come only with the recognition that you’re not special. Because everyone is.”

So there you go, freshmen. This is some key advice to consider coming into your first year at the University of Iowa.

Now, I know I’m not graduating quite yet, but I’ll give a little piece of advice as well.

13.) BE HAPPY! Nothing is worth doing if it makes you completely miserable. This time in your life is about YOU! So do what you love and find what makes you completely happy. 

My name is Jess. I'm a senior here at the University of Iowa where I am currently studying as an English major. I love all things related to writing, music, and spending time with the people who mean the most to me. I am currently interning for Iowa City UNESCO City of Literature as a Marketing intern. Someday, I hope to work as an editor or proofreader in a publishing house.
U Iowa chapter of the nation's #1 online magazine for college women.