A Definitive Ranking Of The Power Café Smoothies

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Iowa chapter.

Confession: my favorite part of the Rec Center at the University of Iowa is the smoothie café, Power Café. I am definitely guilty of rewarding myself with a big smoothie after working out or going there just to get a smoothie (whoops). These are a few of the ones I’ve gotten and what I think of them.

Kale-ifornia Dreamin’

I almost always end up resorting to this smoothie because it is just so good, and it’s definitely my favorite. It’s very popular; a lot of people order it. It has spinach, kale, banana, mango and kiwi. It is blended into a very smooth consistency, and while it is green, you can’t taste the kale or spinach. You can feel healthy and good about yourself while drinking up some fruits and vegetables!

Triple Threat

This one is a little more filling and hearty. It has strawberry, blueberry, cranberry, oats, flax and whey or soy. I got it with whey which has a unique taste. The oats give the smoothie a little texture, and the berries add some sweetness to balance out the plain taste from the whey and oats, so it tastes healthy but not bland. This one is good for when I want a smoothie that will sustain me a little longer and give me a healthy boost to replace drinking a sugary coffee or pop.

Kicking Kiwi

This smoothie is simple: it consists of strawberry, kiwi and yogurt. It tastes like the healthy version of SweeTarts, so if you like smoothies that are on the sweeter side, you should definitely give this one a try. This smoothie isn’t one I would personally get again, as I wished it had a wider range of fruits in it. 

Ja-mocha-me

This smoothie tastes very similar to a Frappuccino. It is made up of coffee, caramel, cappuccino, yogurt and white or dark chocolate. This smoothie is definitely more of a dessert. While it may be somewhat healthier than other coffee drinks, I would probably opt to get Starbucks if I was craving a blended coffee drink.

Coconut Cove

This one has pineapple, coconut, strawberry and the choice of white or dark chocolate. I got mine with white chocolate, and it was absolutely delicious. The coconut flavor is pretty subtle, as is the chocolate flavor, so the smoothie is not too sweet. The strawberries and pineapple make the smoothie refreshing. Try this smoothie if you are craving something that tastes like a treat but won’t make you feel too guilty.

What kinds of smoothies do you like? What is your favorite from the Power Café? 

U Iowa chapter of the nation's #1 online magazine for college women.