Campus Celeb: Genna Popper

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Iowa chapter.

Meet campus celeb, Genna Popper!

Genna is a 20-year-old junior at the University of Iowa from Highland Park, Illinois. She stays busy during the week by volunteering at Uptown Bill’s Coffeehouse, double majors in gender women’s sexuality studies (GWSS) and communications, and is the co-director of Inspire Public Relations.

She has a jam-packed schedule during the week, but (of course) she leaves room for fun, and she one day hopes to make a difference in the world of gender equality!

Do you recall the first time you realized you wanted to attend the University of Iowa?

I remember visiting the campus for the first time; I immediately fell in love.

What’s your favorite memory about UIowa?

I can’t decide! College has been amazing, and not one memory tops the others.

What made you run for Inspire co-director?

I wanted to take on more responsibility. I’ve worked on the accounts in the past, but I wanted to be more invested in the club. I think the club provides great opportunities for students who are interested in the PR world, and wanted to pass down my experiences and my knowledge to help the teams fulfill their clients’ needs. I’m also kind of obsessed with being super organized; it’s crazy. I enjoy being a leader, and I know that’s a good attribute to have, especially in this position.

Explain a little bit about Inspire Public Relations:

Inspire Public Relations is an on campus club through Public Relations Student Society of America (PRSSA). University of Iowa students get the opportunity to work with real clients from Iowa City businesses. It’s basically an unpaid internship provided by the university, and it’s a great way to develop effective communication skills and gain real world experience.

What are your duties as Inspire Co-Director?

I make sure everyone is on task and that communication between clients and the accounts is effective. I also am in charge of contacting Iowa City businesses to see if they are interested in being our clients. I assist accounts in organizing meetings, as well.

What do you like about Public Relations?

I like public relations because it’s personable and interactive. You’re not confined to a desk all day. One day you could be planning an event, and the next day you could be manning a photo shoot. I also love public relations because you have the opportunity to develop long lasting relationships with your clients.

How do you balance school work along with all your activities?

ORGANIZE, ORGANIZE, ORGANIZE! Lilly Pulitzer’s planners have saved my life.

What is your dream career?

My dream career is to do public relations for a women’s activist group, or something like it. It would be a mixture of two things I love; gender equality and public relations.

Favorite nicknames:

G-Popps, G-Momma, Genn

Favorite Iowa City Restaurant:

Formosa. I love the Tuesday-Thursday deal nights.

What are you watching right now?

Parks and Rec. April’s my favorite!

Favorite Spot on Campus:

Anywhere outside. I love to get some fresh air and relax for a bit during my busy day.

If you could travel anywhere in the world, where would it be?

New Zealand, it looks gorgeous.

Hannah is a junior at The University of Iowa. She is a student in The UI School of Journalism and Mass Communication, as well as the Communications Undergrad Program. She is actively involved on campus, and enjoys cooking & working out. She's obsessed with her dog, Toby and hopes to one day work in fashion public relations.
U Iowa chapter of the nation's #1 online magazine for college women.