This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Iowa chapter.

Apparently, Amy Schumer is playing the new Barbie. Variety reports that Schumer is in talks to star in a live action Barbie remake. It is also expected that Schumer and her sister, Kim Caramele, will rewrite the original Barbie Movie script. 

Expected in to be released during summer 2018, the movie is based around Schumer’s character not being perfect enough for Barbieland. She then sets off on a real world adventure, modernizing the stereotypical Barbie plot line. Schumer is known for her casually explicit views on sex, relationships and the female body, as seen in her latest film, Trainwreck. Schumer taking on the role of Barbie breaks the classic “perfect doll” body mold and is meant to give the franchise a breath of fresh hair in this modern day of inclusive body campaigns and diverse views of what the perfect body really means.

The idea of “Barbie” has grown in recent years with the dolls coming in all different skin tones, hair colors and body shapes. No longer is Barbie only available with an unproportional waist and blonde hair; you’d be surprised how many different looks Barbie has accumulated over the years. Celebrities like J.K. Rowling, Audrey Hepburn, Beyonce and Reba McEntire all have their own versions of the dolls. 

Schumer does have some tiny plastic shoes to fill, though. Tyra Banks’ role in Life Size first defied the Barbie body norms in 2000 alongside Lindsey Lohan. 

We have no doubt that Schumer will challenge the status quo associated with Barbie Dolls. However, the movie is said to be rated PG, so it won’t exactly live on the same cringeworthy level that Trainwreck did. Neverthless, congragulations to Amy Schumer; We can’t wait!

Cover Image 

University of Iowa sophomore majoring in Journalism and Engaged Social Innovation. Member of Alpha Chi Omega sorority. Hospitality newbie. Reader, writer, and wanderluster. At least that's what I want my business card to say.
U Iowa chapter of the nation's #1 online magazine for college women.