4 Steps To Take Now For A Great Spring Semester

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Iowa chapter.

Even though it’s been a gloomy January so far, it’s still the spring semester. Classes are starting, the bookstores are selling out fast, and schedules are becoming packed. However, the beginning of every semester is a great time to focus on what will make the next few months successful and worthwhile. If you want to start the semester off on the right foot, it’s important to take tiny steps to get there. 

1. Have a positive attitude

Waking up and starting the day off with positive thoughts will change your whole outlook for the day. It’s easy to focus on the bad things, but putting in the effort to stay positive will make your day ten times better. According to a study, positive thinking can boost your health and work ethic, so you won’t only be feeling better, you’ll be working harder in school, too. It’s easier to start with small steps, like telling yourself it’s going to be a good day when you wake up in the morning, or switching negative thoughts around to be positive (i.e., if it’s snowing outside, instead of thinking “this sucks” or “it’s going to be too cold,” turn the thought into “I can’t wait to get some #winterwonderland pics for Instagram!”).

2. Make a promise to yourself

If there’s one thing you want to accomplish this semester, promise yourself that you’ll do it, and then do everything in your power to get there. Whether it’s staying organized, not skipping class or procrastinating less, promising yourself you’re going to do it is the first step to succeeding. To get to whatever you’re promising yourself, break it down into small goals. If you’re trying to stay organized, start by color-coding your notebooks and folders, or make sure to clean up your desk or room once a week. A larger goal looks much easier to achieve if it’s broken down and made smaller. 

3. Get to know your professors

It’s the typical line you hear every semester: getting to know your professors and going to office hours will help you out in the long run. But it’s true. When a professor knows you, they can help you out in class, and even in the future, whether it’s giving you advice or writing a letter of recommendation. It may be nerve-wracking at first, but professors have office hours for a reason, and they want to help you pass your classes and be successful.

4. Find a study pattern

All the hard work you put into the semester won’t make as big of an impact if you don’t know how to study correctly. If it’s alone, with another person or with a group, it will work as long as it’s right for you. There are different ways to learn and study, and once you figure out where you belong, it will help you in the long run. Tutors are also available on campus and they can help you learn what works for you while they’re helping you with whatever subject you’re struggling with. There are plenty of opportunities on campus and on the web to help you teach yourself the best way to study for your brain. 

Photos: cover1, 2, 3, 4

Rachel Green is a senior Journalism and Mass Communication Major at the University of Iowa. She is also earning two minors in Sport and Recreation Management and Spanish and a certificate in Creative Writing. She serves at Her Campus Iowa's Senior Editor, and is a member of Iowa's editorial team. When she's not working on something for Her Campus, she can be found studying in the library, doodling in her sketchbooks or curling up with a cup of tea and a book.  
U Iowa chapter of the nation's #1 online magazine for college women.