This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Delaware chapter.

Meet Alex Chiodo, a very involved student who is spreading awareness of non-profit, Reviresco.

Her Campus: What are you involved in on campus?

Alex Chiodo: I am involved in a multitude of organizations on campus mainly because if I am not busy, I don’t know what to do with my free time. Apart from ROTC which serves as an equivalent to a part-time job, I am the Vice President of Alumni Relations for Alpha Kappa Psi (the co-ed business fraternity), the treasurer for Il Circolo Italiano (Italian Club), the Chief Operating Officer for an on-campus publication named Legit, and the Executive Vice President of Reviresco Inc.

HC: What is Reviresco/What is your mission?

AC: Reviresco is a non-profit whose mission is to to bridge the gap between civilian and military relations by educating and empowering society to understand their role in helping veterans. There are many organizations which work with helping veterans reintegrate back into society, however there is a lack of understanding of the military and what these veterans face, on the civilian side. After their service, veterans are surrounded by civilians so we find it essential to educate the civilians on their role in helping these veterans reintegrate. We have two prongs to Reviresco; our run to spread awareness and raise capital across a variety of states, and our educational aspect where we go to high schools and universities and host interactive educational programs to encourage conversation between civilians and veterans. We run because it provides a tangible connection for civilians to understand how tough it is for these veterans to reintegrate.

HC: What inspired you to get so involved in Reviresco?

AC: 22 veterans commit suicide every day, that is 22 too many. Not only did this number shock me, but I have personally witnessed the civilian-military divide in my life. Many people have a stereotypical view of the military from Hollywood or the 5o’clock news which has engrained the stereotype of the military revolving around shooting and killing. In reality, there is a large amount of humanitarian, legal(JAG Corps is second largest and oldest law firm in world), technological, and various other aspects of the military.

Being in ROTC has put me in a unique position where I am officially a part of the military, but am still experiencing a civilian life as a student. This position has helped me facilitate conversation between the military and civilians, which is a part of Reviresco’s mission.

HC: What would you like to do in the military?

AC: I would like to commission as an Active Duty Infantry officer following graduation. I have the perspective of not serving for more than ten years, however currently, I am not in the position to make that decision quite yet. I hope as an infantry officer, I will be able to successfully lead, develop, and inspire my soldiers while always willing to learn more and gain wisdom from my superiors.

HC: If you could have dinner with anyone, dead or alive, who would it be?

AC: I would have dinner with Bob Fu. Bob Fu is a Chinese American Christian pastor and the author of Gods Double Agent (my favorite book). The first half of his book is about growing up in communist China and using education (he studied international relations) as the key to make a difference. Halfway through the book, he converted to Christianity after a professor gave him a biography of a Chinese Christian convert. He then taught English to Chinese officials while simultaneously participating in the house church movement (exactly why the book is called Gods Double Agent). He was able to create a massive underground Christian movement which was recognized on an international scale. He was arrested and beaten up various times, but stuck true to his cause. Having dinner with Bob Fu would be an honor.

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." -Evelyn Beatrice Hall
Amanda Schuman is a junior at the University of Delaware. She is currently majoring in communications with a concentration in mass media and double minoring in journalism and interactive media. Amanda is passionate about all things communications whether it's social media, public relations, writing or just networking. In her free time she can be found watching sit-coms on Netflix, with a book in hand or eating anything sweet. You can follow her @bluehen_amanda