Kaya Simonson: President-Elect of Delaware Repertory Dance Company

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Delaware chapter.

This week’s Campus Celebrity is none other than Kaya Simonson, the President-Elect of DRDC, formally known as the Delaware Repertory Dance Company.

Kaya Simonson, a junior Public Policy major, says, “I actually hated taking ballet classes when I was younger; it was so tedious and boring to me. I wanted to be out on the ice instead of pointing my toes in a small room.” Kaya was first instructed to take ballet classes from her Ice Skating Coach. As she grew older however, Kaya’s mother thought she was “too shy” and needed to open up to others. Her mother gave her the push she needed and soon Kaya was dancing in musical theatre productions. Her experience in musical theatre eventually led her to realize she had a passion for dance. 

KO: How does it feel to be selected as a HerCampus Celebrity? 

KS: Great! I’m very appreciative!!

KO: When did your dancing career begin?

KS: I started dancing in a few musical theater productions in middle school through community theaters and studios and would dance in the shows there. Just before high school was when I really started dancing and taking classes and joining different dance groups in my area.

KO: How has dancing shaped you into the person you are today?

KS: Dance has definitely helped me come out of my shell. I am much more outgoing and active. This is actually one of the main reasons I started dancing! My mom was worried that I wasn’t socially involved as a child, and I needed something to put me out of my comfort zone in order for me to open up and survive in the world! So thankful! 

KO: Do you plan on moving forward in your dancing career, such as trying out for companies or Broadway?

KS: I definitely hope to take some time off for auditioning. It’s a stressful and time consuming process that really needs as much attention as you can give. I don’t think I’ll ever make a serious career out of dance, but I hope to keep it in my life somehow until the day I die.

KO: What advice would you give other dancers who are trying to make it big in the industry?

KS: Simply to keep practicing and never give up. Dance can be really unforgiving sometimes, but that’s just the way the game works. Don’t ever let it get you down!

KO: What made you decide you wanted to become President of your company?

KS: Currently, the President is Jennifer Ryan and I’m the President-Elect of Delaware Repertory Dance Company. I will be the official president next year. My position is to follow the current president, assist her with her responsibilities, and work with her to make sure the entire company is running as it should. I wanted the presidential position because I feel very passionate about dance. I’ve learned a lot through my prior dance experience, working closely with the professors of the dance minor program here, and being involved with this company for my third consecutive year. I love everyone in the company and wanted to contribute my skills and passion to the functions of the group.

Sara studies at the University of Delaware (go blue hens!), and absolutely loves it. She is currently studying communications and english with a professional writing concentration. and is fostering a developing interest in public relations after having been introduced to the field through the Public Relations Student Society of America at UD. That has inspired her to concentrate in public relations in the future, though she is a firm believer in getting a well-rounded education and taking a bunch of classes in various subjects. Wherever her education takes her, Sara has always had a passion for writing and will continue her writing in any way possible throughout the remainder of her college years and beyond! Born in New York City, she appreciates and is preparing for the fast paced lifestyle of a city girl, but enjoys the more relaxed nature of her hometown on the Jersey Shore (though she is not affiliated in any way with the cast of MTV’s Jersey Shore). Only minutes from the beach, Sara tries not to take the beautiful atmosphere for granted. Similarly, she tries not to take anything else in her life for granted, and in this sense, prides herself on her strong work ethic. She believes that when life gets tough, it’s only because something great is on the horizon. She adores music, her family and friends, movies, writing, magazines, and travel. Sara cannot wait to see what else college has in store for her, and is ready to take more risks and live with no regrets. She is beyond thrilled to be part of the Her Campus team, and looks forward to writing and editing content that focuses on an audience of college women dedicated to achieving their aspirations.