USG & USA Celeb: Roma Romaniv

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Conn chapter.

Name:  Roma Romaniv

UConn Standing:  Freshman

Hometown:  Colchester, CT

Major:  Management – International Business, minor in Spanish, minor in Human Rights

Contribution to UConn:  Ukrainian Student Association (USA) and Undergraduate Student Government (USG)

USG Senate Meeting

Q:  What made you want to get involved with USG?

A:  I always loved student government in high school so I knew I wanted to do that at UConn.  I enjoy advocating for things I support and getting to know UConn as a whole through this organization.  I also love working with people and for people (advocating for them) so this gives me the opportunity to do both.  Also, you learn so much about the school and different groups on campus through the organization.

Q:  What position do you hold?

A: Shippee Senator

Q:  What do you do in your position?

A:  As a residential senator I attend senate, vote, write, and sponsor different legislation.  A lot of it has to do with groups needing funding for things, or statements of position on issues (i.e. the housing rate going up).  I am also on the External Affairs Committee (every senator has to be on a committee) and we deal with communicating with the state.  We also correspond with local communities on issues around UConn such as housing regulations in Mansfield, relationships with students, and the local community.  Also, I am the chair of the Accessibility Assessment Committee which looks into how USG works internally and how that can be improved.  That means we run focus groups and surveys to gather info so we can make suggestions on how to improve the organization.

Q:  What kinds of things have you done with USG for UConn?

A:  I’ve been a part of several projects such as:

• I worked on some pieces of legislation giving Tier 2 groups funding
  • Worked with the committee on different initiatives such as safety on campus
  • Next Generation supporting
  • Asking students what they think (new rec center input)
  • Sexual harassment issues
  • Getting info on projects that the university is looking at (building new rec center, dorms, etc.)
  • Looking into how to improve USG so it can work better for the students 
  • Getting a newspaper (New York Times) stand for Shippee/Buckley dining hall for next year (they have a separate honors one, but are cutting funding for it, so it won’t be there next year, but this one will!)

Q:  Favorite part of USG?

A:  Dressing up for Senate every other Thursday!

Tabling for EuroMaidan

Q:  Any other organizations you are involved in at UConn?

A:  Yep!  I voice over the news for WHUS radio (tune in to whus.org every Tuesday and Thursday at 4:55 pm), am a part of NOW (National Organization for Women), IRA (International Relations Association), and USA (Ukrainian Student Association).

Q:  What do you do in the Ukrainian Student Association?

A:  It’s really up to the members, we get together to discuss things that are going on in Ukraine or things going on in the Ukrainian-American community, make food, watch Ukrainian movies, make Ukrainian Easter eggs, etc.  This year I got a speaker to come to talk to us about Ukraine’s history (he works for the Ukrainian Catholic University) and the new initiatives they are trying to start at the university.  We raise awareness about issues regarding Ukraine.  This year with everything going on in Ukraine, we tabled at the Union to raise awareness about Euromaidan (Ukrainian movement for democracy) and human rights violations, we collected signatures for a petition, we also attended community meetings in Hartford with Senator Chris Murphy, and one in Willimantic with Congressman Joe Courtney and Senator Blumenthal representing the Ukrainian Student Association and supporting Ukraine.

Ukrainian Student Association at the Community Meeting on the Situation in Ukraine and U.S./Ukraine Relations. 

Q:  Share a little bit about your culture and why you’re so passionate about what you do.

A:  I am very passionate about human rights and democracy and with everything going on in Ukraine right now, those things have combined with my passions about my culture.  I celebrate a lot of Ukrainian holidays (Ukrainian Christmas, Easter, and making Easter eggs), I love Ukrainian food, dancing, and music.  It is something that I grew up with and I love sharing it with others.  Also, I think people should be proud of where they are from (I was born in Ukraine, yet I am a typical American college kid).  I am also very open to other cultures and think that we can all learn from each other.

The Ukrainian Student Association stands with Ukraine!

Q:  Any future UConn aspirations with these groups?

A:   I hope to stay with USG and do a lot more next year in regards to residential issues (wherever I am living).  I also hope to do a lot more work with getting people to know what USG is and seeing what things students care about.  With the Ukrainian group, I hope to do more cultural events on campus and get people more aware about political issues in Ukraine as well as connect with other groups on campus.

As you can see, Roma’s passion for both student government and her Ukrainian culture have enabled her to get involved in many different activities and groups on campus.  As an active member of several prominent groups at UConn, Roma embodies the spirit of true UConn Huskies with her positive attitude and excellent social networking abilities.  She is part of groups that bring people together whether it be culturally or politically and continues to strive to make changes to UConn for the better. #BleedBlue 

Nikki is the Campus Correspondent & Editor in Chief for Her Campus UConn.  She is a senior majoring in Communication with a minor in HDFS.  Nikki wishes she was Beyoncé, worships Adele, eats more pasta than is probably recommended, and is a Ravenclaw at heart.   If you have any questions or concerns regarding Her Campus UConn, you can email her at nicoleharris@hercampus.com.