Tips for Healthy, Strong Hair this Winter

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Conn chapter.

The freezing winter temperatures combined with the wind chill New Englanders know all too well, can definitely wreak havoc on your hair. With a little extra care, you can prevent brittle, dry locks with these simple tricks.

Deep condition with coconut oil

Hair fallout is common in the winter, mainly due to a dry scalp. Your hair can’t grow healthy and strong if their roots are weak. All you need is a little TLC to revive your hair, and coconut oil is an effective (and cheap) way to do it. Massage your hair root to tip with some melted coconut oil and leave it in for 20-30 minutes before washing. If your hair is thick or extra dry, leave the treatment in overnight.

Wash your hair…less

Washing frequently strips your hair of its natural oils that keep it healthy. The lack of humidity in the air doesn’t help either. Washing your hair 2 to 3 times a week instead of daily, locks in natural moisture and lessens the chances of your hair becoming dry, knotted and static-y.

Trim your split ends

Cold air weakens your hair. Brittle hair is susceptible to breakage. Prevent further damage to your ends by getting a trim or doing it yourself.  Moisturizing your ends with argon or macadamia oil while still damp reduces splitting and keeps your hair strong throughout the winter.

Cut down the heat exposure

Just as extreme cold can damage hair, the extreme heat of blow dryers, hair straighteners, and curling irons can cause further moisture loss. However, we all know it’s not realistic to stop using heat products entirely. Consider using a lower heat setting—it may take more time to achieve the results you’re looking for, but it’s worth it.

Winter may not be very kind to your hair, but you can by trying out these timeless tips. 

Cover Image Source