Tama Moni-Erigbali: Producer of Weekly Programming on UCTV

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Conn chapter.

Name: Tama Moni-Erigbali

Year: Sophomore

Major: Journalism (and hopefully a double major in Human Rights)

Q: What activities are you involved in on campus?

A: UCTV Entertainment, She’s the First, UC Chamber.

Q: What are your hobbies/interests?

A: Reading books on various social issues, mystery/thriller genres, and subjects that are complex. Watching some of my favorite shows like Scream Queens and Brooklyn Nine-Nine. Playing basketball at the gym a few times.

Q: How did you decide to go into journalism and human rights?

A: Before my freshman year, I was conflicted about what I would major in–heck, even what I was good at. So I wrote down things I think I’m good at, such as being able to start conversations with people, wanting to help people in some way, and freewriting. I checked out the descriptions of both majors at UConn and thought these aligned pretty well with my qualities.

Q: What is your show on UCTV called and what is it about?

A: My show is called Weekly Programming and it’s my co-host and I that go into the studio and satirize news headlines or topics that require lots of research and are obscure. It was inspired by The Daily Show, SNL’s “Weekend Update”, and The John Oliver Show. Besides my co-host, I have seven other members that help with video editing and script writing.

Q: What is the process of creating a show like?

A: When I started my show I was given the go-ahead by the former entertainment director pretty quickly. I filled out a form that explained the concept of my show and where it would primarily be filmed. Then, once approved, you need people to help make the show happen so I asked a couple of friends and even went on Facebook to get some interested students and it went from there. Later on I came up with the title Weekly Programming.

Q: Tell me about your team.

A: My team is about eight members who are mostly sophomores and/or communication majors, with two students that are a junior and freshman who aren not in the journalism/comm. department. They all have creative ideas and have made some scripts that are pretty funny and clever. However, my team does need to improve on some issues in order to make the show more efficient.

Q: How often do you have new episodes?

A: Since we’re still in a restructuring process of the show, we don’t have too many episodes right now. We officially started the show spring semester of this year and there’s only one video up on YouTube right now. We would like to have episodes every two weeks or so, but that’s something I need to plan with my crew members.

Q: Where can people find the episodes of your show?

A: You can find them on the UCTV channel on YouTube.

Q: When did you first know you were interested in TV?

A: I think when my dad would watch Channel 13 with me when I was younger. I don’t know the equivalent TV station in Connecticut, but that channel was where I’d watch shows on PBS, Antique Roadshow, Nova, Charlie Rose, BBC, and artistic performances. So watching the arts and old time journalists was cool to me at that age. There’s something authentic about that channel that I really liked and still like to this day.

Q: What is the best piece of advice someone has ever given you?

A: “Never give up.” It really does mean a lot to me, because there are times I feel like I’m not doing enough or I feel like the work I may be doing is useless. But the tiny voice in my head tells me to keep going and don’t stop and not to lose faith. So that maintains my drive and I hope something good comes out of it.

Q: Do you have any advice for anyone who might want to start a show?

A: Creating a show requires a lot of communication and scheduling. If you have more than three members in your crew, it’s difficult to keep everyone in check at the same time, so communication is key. Everyone has to let everyone know when they’re available so they know what they’re supposed to be doing. Getting time to film in the studio is a privilege so when given that time it’s important to come prepared and use the time wisely. I like when people pitch ideas on topics and jokes for the monologues on the show, because it might open up something you never thought of before that can benefit the show.

Q: What is the best part about being in UCTV and why should people join?

A: I think the people are the best part about being in UCTV. I felt comfortable when I joined them and not intimidated at all. The experienced students that are in the organization are friendly and are eager to help you with any questions you have or anything you need. I think it’s a cool club to join if you’re interested in learning how TV studios work from a student-level and you get to work with awesome equipment.

Check out the first-ever episode of Weekly Programming.

And be sure to see all that UCTV has to offer on their YouTube page.

All images courtesy of Tama Moni-Erigbali.

Amanda is a senior Journalism and Communication double-major with a minor in English. Aside from writing, she loves reading, spending time with family and friends, and making videos. If you can’t find her, she’s probably at the beach. Someday, she hopes to be a director and writer for TV/Film and spend all of her free time traveling. But for now, you can read her articles on Her Campus UConn.