Stepping up to the Plate: Aaron Hill

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Conn chapter.

Aaron is currently a sophomore at UConn. He is also about to begin his second season as a player for the UConn baseball team.  

What is your position?

Shortstop

When does the season begin? What are you looking forward to most this season?

February 13th. I’m looking forward to competing with this year’s team. We have a great group of guys and we have something special.

What have you learned as a college athlete? 

You need to be fully dedicated and committed. You need to work hard under any circumstance. You are also held accountable for your actions. Also, be able to respect teammates and coaches because they constantly push you day in and day out to be better than you were the day before.

Do you have a professional athlete you look up to?

Growing up it as always Derek Jeter for being a winner and the way he carried himself on and off the field. Michael Jordan as well because he was the most fiercest competitor and all he did was win and succeed.

What do you enjoy most about playing for the team?

Playing baseball and getting the chance to travel across the country, being able to do the thing you love, and most importantly hanging out with my teammates who are like brothers to me.

Do you have any pre-game rituals?

Personally I like to do pre-game stretches which include child’s pose and dead bugs to get my body nice and lose.

What Professional baseball team is your favorite?

The New York Yankees. They are the most successful franchise in the sport and they have a rich history of championships and players.

Is there an event you enjoy participating in as part of the baseball team?

Secret Santa because we give gifts to one another based on everyone’s personalities and the experiences they have had.

What advice do you have for those aspiring to play sports in college?

Make sure you love the sport and that you have fun playing the game otherwise you’re just wasting your time. You must be fully dedicated and committed to compete and get better.