A Recap: I <3 Female Orgasm

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Conn chapter.

Once every year the University of Connecticut hosts a lecture on… female orgasms? This past year on September 8th and 9th, Marshall Miller and Maggie Keenan-Bolger, both professional sex educators, hosted the event. With few seats left open, the pair talked about female sexuality, sexual taboos, and various ways for females to achieve orgasm.

The main focus of the lecture was not to simply educate women and men, but to deconstruct myths over female sexuality. Miller and Keenan-Bolger did not lecture from a strict scientific standpoint of anatomy and physiology, but brought in sociology, sexology, history, and psychology making the evening’s discussion fully encompassing. Humor was, of course, incorporated (Keenan-Bolger requested that the audience did not turn off their phones, but set them to vibrate).

Though the room was filled with many college students of various gender identities and sexual orientation, the atmosphere was very comfortable and welcoming thanks to Miller and Keenan-Bolger’s speaking styles. The pair’s use of humor, frankness, and audience participation made the lecture relaxed and fun. No aspect of female sexuality was off limits. Anecdotes of first times were told, anatomy explained, and masturbation was discussed plenty. Miller and Keenan-Bolger also stayed after wrapping up the program to answer anyone’s lingering questions.

Outside of the Student Union theatre were tables with pins and t-shirts reading “I Love Female Orgasm” and a book on the female orgasm written by Miller and his partner titled I Love Female Orgasm. Both the t-shirts and book can be found online at ilovefemaleorgasm.com.

Terri Bulan is a Psychology major at the University of Connecticut. She aspires to work as a clinical psychologist in the mental health field after graduating. Writing tops the list as one of her passions, but Nutella and puppies are close contenders.