Julia DeMoranville: Creating a healthier community

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Conn chapter.

The Kidney Disease Screening and Awarenss Program (KDSAP) at UConn is a new organization that works to provide kidney health services for underserved communities.  This week’s campus celeb, Julia DeMoranville, is one of the founders of this incredible organization, as well as, the music director of the amazing girls acapella group, Rubyfruit. Read on to find out about the organization and what it’s like to be a club founder at UConn!

Name: Julia DeMoranville 

Major: Molecular and Cell Biology/ Individualized major: Child Health and Development 

From: South Kingstown, Rhode Island

Campus involvement: Rubyfruit acapella group, undergraduate research, founder of KDSAP

HC: What is the main purpose of KSDAP?

JD: There are two main purposes. One is to spread awareness about chronic kidney diseases, because they affect a lot of people.  The second is to screen people for their kidney health.  This is aimed at underserved populations or people without healthcare.

HC: So what does the group do to accomplish this?

JD: We havent strtaed yet, but the program started at Harvard.  They organize monthly screenings at local areas and basically anyone is welcome to come and be evaluated for their kidney health.  They do a survey of their medical history and we take important things like BMI, weight, blood pressure, and at the end everyone meets with a nephrologist (a kidney doctor) about their kidney health.  It is important to know about your kidney health, because your kidneys can deteriorate without people knowing because your kidneys can work normally on only 10% function, so people don’t know they’re really sick.  That’s why it’s important to keep monitoring.  Underserved people less likely to receive checkups so that is why we provide services to them. 

HC: How do you organize these events?

JD: We have nephrologists that advise us and have to be there for the screenings. We will coordinate with churches, community centers and other places local CT towns and advertise that way, and we may hold a few screenings at UConn. It’s all free. 

HC: What is it like to found an organization at UConn?

JD: It was a lot of work, it takes a lot of initiative.  You have to be on top of it cause no one is going to do it for you . It was really exciting and I was happy to find other people who were interested in the same things that I was.

HC: How does KDSAP relate to your future goals?

JD: I want work in the healthcare industry, probably as a doctor.  I don’t know if I want to do nephrology but I think it’s important and interesting. I’m hoping to learn about clinical work and working with people.

HC: What can college students do to maintain kidney health?

JD: Kidney disease is more prevalent in older people, but college students should exercise, drink water and keep a healthy diet. 

If you’re interesting in joining KDSAP, contact uconnkdsap@gmail.com

Sarah is the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus UConn. She is a Communication and Journalism major at the University of Connecticut newly suffering from the travel bug after a summer in Spain and an obsession with all things UConn Husky Basketball.