Eat This, Not That! UConn Dining Hall Edition

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Conn chapter.

Whether your coming back to UCONN after sitting at a boring desk for an internship or chasing after small children, it’s important to remember to get back on track (or stay on track) with your diet. College can be a major roadblock for some when it comes to eating healthy.

Tip #1: Look online before going to the dining hall. On the dining services website, there is a menu and nutrition section: http://www.dining.uconn.edu/nutrition.html. Before you go to eat at a dining hall or to grab something at the Union, check out what they’re offering. They also have a nutritional report for everything they serve which gives you a breakdown of calories, fat, sodium and more. This is a perfect tool to help you become a more conscious eater. The University of Connecticut is not here to sabotage your diet.

Tip #2:Look at the descriptions above the entrées.When you are actually in the dining hall, look for the healthy husky note card! “A Healthy Husky entrée is one that is less than 300 calories per serving, less than 30% of the calories come from fat and less than 7% of the calories come from saturated fat…There is always at least one entrée at lunch and dinner that fit this criteria” (Healthy Husky Nutrition Program). This is such an easy way to choose a healthy meal. Add a side salad, and viola! If you are not into what they are offering for healthy husky, look for key words such as baked or grilled. These will generally be healthier than the fried options.

Tip #3:Don’t go overboard on loading your plate.Most of the time when you go to the dining hall you are starved. This could lead to your eyes being bigger than your stomach. Everyone knows the uncomfortable feeling of overeating during a meal, just remember it is not a crime to go back for another serving. Sometimes I go back up two, three or even four times! Make sure you eat slow, chew your food completely and be conscious of how your stomach feels. It takes about 20 minutes for your brain to realize you are full. Sit back, enjoy conversation with friends, and remember to put down your fork. Mindful eating is healthful eating.

Tip #4:Take a piece of fruit for later.You are allowed to take one piece of fruit with you when you leave the dining hall. Fruit is the absolute perfect snack for between meals. Having an apple on your desk will also make you think twice about reaching for unhealthier snacks you may have in your room.

Tip #5:Allow yourself to indulge, but don’t overindulge!When it comes to the dining halls on campus, it’s sometimes hard to make the right choice when you have a greasy piece of pizza staring at you or a chocolate chip cookie. Don’t deprive yourself from eating your favorite food; just don’t let it become a daily thing! Allow yourself to have them once a week, or after a really stressful exam you studied for as a reward.

Happy eating, Huskies!

My name is Ashley Dostie and I am the current Editor in Chief for the Her Campus branch at the University of Connecticut. I am a journalism and public relations double major and I am looking forward to expanding and publicizing this amazing online magazine come fall semester!