free to use sounds kOuCX7fh50U unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
free to use sounds kOuCX7fh50U unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Carley Mooney: Head Women’s Basketball Manager

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Conn chapter.

Name: Carley Mooney

Major: Sport Management

Graduation Year: 2015

Claim to fame: I am the Head Manager for the women’s basketball team. We have a staff of 15 undergraduate student managers. Myself along with my co-head manager are responsible for organizing, scheduling and teaching the managers in the program. A great deal of responsibilities and duties come along with the position so explaining the job can often be a challenge. Some of the more clear cut tasks we are responsible for are setting up the equipment for practice (filling water bottles, setting up the basketballs), keeping and compiling practice stats, operating the score clock, doing the team’s laundry while traveling, communicating with the coaching staff to ensure their needs are met. Basically my job is to make sure the coaches and players have the equipment to do their jobs. I try to do anything I can do to make their job easier or help them in anyway.

Future goals: Through studying Sport Management and working with the Women’s Basketball team here on campus I have decided that I want to work in women’s basketball in the future. I have always loved basketball and now my love and passion only continues to grow as I gain experience in the sport.

How did you get this position? To be honest I just got lucky with my timing. During my first week on campus freshman year I emailed one of the assistant coaches my resume in hopes of applying for a position as a manager. A few days later I had an interview. Shortly after that I learned I would be a manager.

How do you balance your position with academics and other activities? Balancing basketball and academics isn’t too hard. I’m really fortunate to have professors who are understanding and supportive. Being a sport management major I am always encouraged by my professors to get real world experience which is exactly what I am doing in my work with the team. I like to think that even though I miss a great deal of time in the classroom I am more than making it up in real world and career experience.

Favorite moment of the season: My favorite moment of the season outside of winning the National Championship was our trip to play in New York City. Playing at Madison Square Garden was an unbelievable experience. The fact that the game was just a few days before Christmas added to the excitement and the great environment. It was a great few days.

Favorite moment during the NCAA tournament: My favorite moment was hands down winning the national championship. There was no better feeling in the world than watching a team who has worked incredibly hard for the last 12 months have their hard work pay off. It reminded me how fortunate I am to be a part of such a great program.

How does it feel to represent the team and the university? Representing UCONN is something I take a lot of pride in. I try to remember that even though most of my job takes place behind the scenes everything I do is a reflection of not only myself but also the team and the university. With that in mind I always want to conduct myself in a professional and mature matter.