The 5 Best “90’s Inspired” Halloween Costumes

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Conn chapter.

It’s no shocker that the 90’s was the best time of the century. With boy bands, furbies, and Brittney Spears, no wonder you’d want a 90’s inspired costume! This Halloween you can go back in time to your favorite era with these goof-tacular costumes.  

1. The Fresh Price and Carlton

This infamous dynamic duo has been through countless adventures. Not to mention their wardrobe! Pulling this off is easy. Just hit up a thrift shop and find a 90’s windbreaker and a patterned pair of pants for Will and a sweater vest and collared shirt for Carlton. To make the costume even better, don’t forget to do Carlton’s dance the whole night long!! 

2. Cher and Dionne from Clueless 

These two were a match made in heaven. They spent their time roaming the streets of Beverly Hills, playing matchmaker and gossiping all day long. If you and your bestie are shooting for the perfect costume, here’s the one! You’ll need some plaid… lots of it! Find a matching blazer and skirt, along with a cute sweater underneath. Bonus points if you carry around an old cellphone! 

3. Steve Urkel

My personal favorite. What’s better than suspenders, glasses, and plaid? Urkel is a fun costume that can look cute as well! Opt out of the long kakis, and wear jean shorts with the suspenders. Add a plaid shirt underneath and some goofy glasses and you’re set!

4. Zach and Kelly from Saved By The Bell

This couple had its ups and downs, but they always were looking bright and colorful! If you and your beau are looking for a fun couples costume, try this! All he needs is jean shorts and a funky collared shirt. You can wear a fun patterned pair of high waisted shorts and a colorful top! Zach can’t forget to take “time outs!” 

5. The Spice Girls

There’s nothing better than a bunch of girls singing about spicing up the world, so why not be them for Halloween! No one will ever question your costume if you and four of your friends are rocking this costume! All you need is something pink for Baby Spice, something sporty and cute for Sporty Spice, cheetah printed for Scary Spice, red and sexy for Ginger Spice, and last but not least, something black and seductive for Posh Spice. You and your friends will be bound to look amazing while you dance the night away!