Your Guide to Summer Events in Chicago

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Chicago chapter.

Spending summer in Chicago and not feeling too excited about it? Don’t worry! It may seem like a bummer to hang back if all of your friends are travelling to other parts of the country, but in actuality, you are very lucky. Students from other schools would fight for the kinds of summer opportunities a city like Chicago affords. Besides internships and career explorations downtown, Chicago is home to a plethora of exciting summer events that most UChicago students are unable to experience. Here is just a small list of the exciting happenings in our city this summer:

Lollapalooza

Held this summer from August 2-4 in Grant Park, Lollapalooza is perhaps the country’s most famous music festival. Catering to a multitude of music tastes and genres, from Kendrick Lamar to Mumford & Sons, Lolla gurantees three days of fun. While tickets are completely sold out on the official website, lucky individuals still might be able to score passes on Craigslist, StubHub, or even from friends. For more information, check out http://www.lollapalooza.com.

Chicago Neighborhood Festivals

Every year from May to September, Chicago holds Neighborhood Festivals showcasing what the city’s unique cultural areas have to offer. Always wanted to visit the art museums in Pilsen, but never been? Interested in checking out the Ukranian Village? With special deals and events, the Neighborhood Festivals are your chance! For more information, check out http://www.cityofchicago.org/city/en/depts/dca/supp_info/neighborhood_festivals.html.

Spring Awakening Music Festival

Do you love EDM? Spring Awakening, “Chicago’s Premier EDM Festival,” is returning to Soldier Field on June 14, 15, and 16 with performances by a myriad of EDM greats, including Bassnectar, Calvin Harris, Bingo Players, Mord Fustang, Krewella, Nero, and others. 3-day general admission passes are on sale for a limited time at $180 and will soon rise to $250. Single day tickets will eventually be released. For more information, head over to http://www.springawakeningfestival.com.

Farmers Markets

During the summer, Chicago is home to a number of awesome farmers’ markets, many of which have food samples, live music, and a selection of mouthwatering local produce. In fact, Hyde Park is home to the well-known 61st Street Farmers Market, which offers local meats, cheeses, fruits, vegetables, and baked goods, along with cooking classes and performances, every Saturday from 9 am – 2 pm on 61st and Dorchester. For more information, check out http://www.experimentalstation.org/farmers-market.

Baseball Games

You’re not a real Chicagoan until you see a White Sox or Cubs game! It can be difficult to get to the stadium during school time, so head over during the summer. Tickets can be found at whitesox.mlb.com and cubs.mlb.com for both day and night games. Try and go on a promotions day, like Free Tumbler Day at Wrigley Field on Friday June 21! 

An eternal optimist and big dreamer, Maxine is a thoughtful gift-giver, fiendish mogul skier, caring friend, and spunky pre-med student with a passion for journalism. A first year in the College, Maxine hails from New Jersey and hopes to major in Comparative Human Development. She loves Mexican food, winter, her green Jeep, and her two Presa Canario dogs, takes way too many photos, and feels so incredibly honored to be living and learning in the amazing city of Chicago.
Annie Pei

U Chicago

Annie is a Political Science major at the University of Chicago who not only writes for Her Campus, but is also one of Her Campus UChicago's Campus Correspondents. She also acts as Editor-In-Chief of Diskord, an online op-ed publication based on campus, and as an Arts and Culture Co-Editor for the university's new Undergraduate Political Review. When she's not busy researching, writing, and editing articles, Annie can be found pounding out jazz choreography in a dance room, furiously cheering on the Vancouver Canucks, or around town on the lookout for new places, people, and things. This year, Annie is back in DC interning with Voice of America once again!