Songs of Spring

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Chicago chapter.

The last remaining days of finals week acted as a kind reminder that spring is approaching. The wind was balmy and absent of flying ice particles, there were signs of green spurting from the ground, and for the first time in a very, very long time, sun rays touched bare arms. For me, spring brings with it an element of freedom; freedom from heavy coats and multiple layers, freedom from the indoors, a freedom to act on impulse and take a walk to the Point in the middle of the day.

To capture the carefree calm of spring, I have created a spring playlist with songs that carry a similar upbeat mood. A lot of genres are represented so hopefully you’ll find a couple you like. Listen to these songs while laying out in the Quad with a chilled drink and revel in the joy that is spring!

If you know other songs perfect for a spring playlist, comment below!

Chicago- Sufjan Stevens: Not only is this song titled after the great city we live in, but Stevens’ soothing voice paired with the upbeat percussion and string melody also act as an immediate mood elevator. And as the lyrics suggest, “all things grow” in the springtime from flora to spring flings and maybe even our GPA’s (I’m just amusing myself, play along).

Lemonade- Braids: Time to substitute the boiling hot drinks that managed to keep us alive during this ridiculous winter with cool, refreshing drinks, like lemonade. Plus, the ethereal voice and voice-infused background manage to calm and uplift you at the same time.

Dancing With the DJ- The Knocks (Chiddy Bang remix): Along with its carefree, fun attitude, the song possess an infectious beat that makes you want to go out and dance. What better time for an outdoors dance party than the spring.

Lero-Lero – Luisa Maita: Though I have no idea what is being said in this song as I do not speak Portuguese, Miata’s beautiful voice and the rhythmic strumming and drum beating always get my feet to tap against one another and my head to bob cheerfully. Listen to this song while basking in the sun and you can daydream that you’re hearing Maita sing this in her native country of Brazil, umbrella-adorned drink in hand.

Young, Wild, And Free- Wiz Khalifa feat. Snoop Dogg: His song highlights the carefree attitude that accompanies springtime and bleeds afterwards into the summer. As UChicago students, though we may be constantly bombarded with papers and problem sets, we shouldn’t forget to reserve time to unleash our responbilities and just have fun, be free.

Here Comes the Sun- The Beatles: The title explains it all: with spring, we can finally bask in the marvelous (and much missed) sunlight and wave goodbye to the “long, cold, lonely winter”. At least it gave us two snow days, right?

Jessica Ro

U Chicago

Jessica Ro is a third-year Public Policy student originally from Santa Monica, California, a city just west of Los Angeles. Jessica joined Her Campus because she loved the concept of reaching out specifically to college-aged females through writing. 
Lynda Lopez is a first year at the University of Chicago currently considering political science and comparative human development as majors. Lynda has been avidly writing for publications, both online and print, since her sophomore year of high school. During her time in high school, she wrote for the Chicago Tribune, PBS Newshour, and the New York Times Upfront Magazine. She has continued her passion in college and is currently the News and Public Affairs Intern at the University Community Service Center at UChicago as well as heading the news department at a local non-profit. When not writing, she enjoys bike-riding, watching Youtube videos, and hanging out with friends. She is excited to bring Her Campus to UChicago and hopes that it will serve as an informative and entertaining resource for women on campus.