The Leather Look Book

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Chicago chapter.

Leather is one of those things that just never seems to go out of style. Now, more than ever, leather is the look to have. The possibilities are endless, what was once too tough, too over the top, or too edgy can be worn on many occasions. Leather makes a statement and is a long lasting piece that, chosen right, can truly add to your wardrobe.

Classic: There are some things in life that will just always be great, like a leather jacket! Pick a decade, any decade and there has always been room in a girl’s closet for a leather jacket. Whether it’s a tough guy James Dean style, a heavy, seventies fringed make, a Top Gun aviator cut or a trendy metallic dusted model, a leather jacket is a worthwhile purchase. Do your research, scope out the brands and check the quality of the jacket and leather before you buy it. A good tip from Laruen Conrad’s Book of Style is to buy a cheaper version, like a faux leather bomber, and then if you realize it is the wrong cut for you wardrobe you haven’t wasted money on a pricey coat you don’t like. Or you might realize it’s worth buying the real deal. Pair it with dark skinnies and a v-neck for a classic look or add an edge to a date night outfit; either way the leather jacket will always be casual cool.

Biker Chic: You don’t have to ride a Harley to rock a leather vest. Faux fur vests have been on the rise and now it’s time for leather. Not all leather pieces need to be actual leather. Pair this edgy, bad girl look with a pair of jeans and great heels for a night out. Or toss on your favorite flirty print and don your leather vest to give your safe outfit a kick!

Rock Star Pants: Rock stars have been notorious for their skin tight leather pants.  Dancing around the stage, leather pants scream bold. Leather pants can seem intimidating but they are more wearable than you think. The key is to not overdo it with the look you are going for, which can be said about all these leather inspired outfits. But at the same time, make the pants your statement piece and pair it with neutrals. Leather leggings are also in order, and Forever 21 has a great selection. Looking for something a little more wild? Leather pants, black boots, and a jean vest together make for a raging look fit for concerts.

Fiercely Feminine: Leather minis done right are a great asset to your wardrobe. The leather gives your plain old skirt an edge. No longer reserved for costumes or scandalous nights out, leather skirts make a great look. But steer clear from shiny black which will make your skirt look cheap! Deep red, navy blue, brown, are all great color choices. If you’re confused about what to pair your new leather skirt with, try a deep red leather mini with an oversized, wool blazer and black tights for a tough, Clueless look.

So liven up your closet with the look of leather!

Kali West

U Chicago

Annie Pei

U Chicago

Annie is a Political Science major at the University of Chicago who not only writes for Her Campus, but is also one of Her Campus UChicago's Campus Correspondents. She also acts as Editor-In-Chief of Diskord, an online op-ed publication based on campus, and as an Arts and Culture Co-Editor for the university's new Undergraduate Political Review. When she's not busy researching, writing, and editing articles, Annie can be found pounding out jazz choreography in a dance room, furiously cheering on the Vancouver Canucks, or around town on the lookout for new places, people, and things. This year, Annie is back in DC interning with Voice of America once again!