Acclaimed Comedian, Reggie Watts

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Chicago chapter.

This coming Saturday, comedian Reggie Watts will be at UChicago for the Major Activity Board’s annual Winter Quarter Comedy show. While Watts’ name may not be familiar to all, the Brooklyn-based comedian has garnered a cult following by those who appreciate his absurd humor and inclusion of music in his routine.

Watts’ origins in entertainment lie in music, not comedy, Watts attending Cornish College of the Arts in Seattle where he studied jazz. During his time in Seattle, Reggie was involved in a number of bands and grew an interest in alternative performance styles, eventually dabbling in improv and stand-up comedy.

His performances, which are equal parts bizarre and entertaining, have caught the attention of publications like Rolling Stone and Spin Magazine, both including Reggie in their 2010 list of Hot Comedians. Equipped with a loop sampler, keyboard, synthesizers and rather impressive beatboxing and singing skills, Watts provides the audience with an experience that blurs the line between musical performance and comedy act. To supplement even more diversity to his show, Reggie is known to alter the tone of his voice and accents when delivering his lines. People are also quick to notice Reggie’s appearance which includes a huge afro and heavily bearded face and often, a knitted sweater bearing a garish pattern or decal. 

Reggie Watts shot to fame when he was designated as the opening act in Conan O’Brien’s “Legally Prohibited from Being Funny on Television Tour” after O’Brien’s exit from The Tonight Show. Since the tour’s end, Conan has repeatedly brought Reggie on his TBS show, Conan, and fellow late night talk show host Jimmy Fallon has also featured Watts on his show. Reggie’s humorous music videos on YouTube, like “I Just Want To” and “F_ck Sh_t Stack”, have amassed over 5 million views.

Watts’ eccentric character will hopefully make for a show that suits the quirkiness of the UChicago community. If anything, we can look forward to a fun sweater.

Jessica Ro

U Chicago

Jessica Ro is a third-year Public Policy student originally from Santa Monica, California, a city just west of Los Angeles. Jessica joined Her Campus because she loved the concept of reaching out specifically to college-aged females through writing.