This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Winona chapter.

We know the time 11:11 to make a wish, but on the 11th hour of the 11th day of the 11th month of 1918 an armistice was declared between the Allies nations and Germany in the First World War, commemorated as Armistice Day beginning the following year. November 11th became a legal federal holiday in the United States in 1938, Veterans Day, a holiday dedicated to American Veterans of all wars. American soldiers have gone through some tough times, whether in a war or not. No one can explain to you what it was like to be a soldier through some of the toughest wars including the Vietnam War, WWI, WWII, Korean War, Iraq War, and still to this day, the War in Afghanistan. That is why we remember and honor military personnel and pay respect to those who choose to save our country.

Veterans Day comes once a year and we say thank you to all who have served. Being a young veteran, this is my first time being honored as a military soldier. I am very thankful to be a part of a day that is dedicated to some of the most important people in the world. But on the other hand, I feel as though I shouldn’t be as honored as others who have risked their lives. Americans can live in a better country because of the veterans that have fought all our war troubles throughout history. Americans depend on the soldiers to keep our country safe and free. The difference between Memorial Day and Veterans Day is on Veterans Day we celebrate the soldiers who are still alive and served in the forces at any time, during peace or war.

Men and women that we honor today come from all walks of life, but they share several fundamental qualities. They possess courage, pride, determination, selflessness, dedication to duty and integrity, all qualities needed to serve a cause larger than one’s self. Many of them didn’t ask to leave their homes to fight on distant battlefields, many didn’t even volunteer, they didn’t go to war because they loved fighting, they were called to be a part of something bigger than themselves. They are ordinary people who responded in extreme ways in extreme times. Veterans Day is a time for people throughout the country to gather together to remember, to honor, and to pay gratitude to those who have served our country. So instead of making a wish on 11:11, say thank you to a veteran on 11/11.

Places that recognize Veterans Day:

Applebee’s – Free meal

Chili’s – Free meal

Starbucks – Free coffee

Denny’s – Free Build Your Own Grand Slam from 5 a.m.-12 p.m.

Little Caesars – Free pizza

Olive Garden – Free entree

T.G.I. Friday’s – Free lunch

& many more great discounts!

Sammy is what you would call a Student Solider. She is in the Army and also a Senior at MNSU. Her major is Mass Media and her minor is Communication Studies. She is from Cottage Grove, MN and enjoys her weekends in the cities. She enjoys being the Her Campus MNSU Chapters Campus Correspondent and also Young Life. She wishes that fall season was year round, but living in Minnesota she will have deal with all the seasons it brings.
Hannah Ingebrand is a Winona State University graduate with a Bachelor of Arts degree in Public Relations and a Psychology minor. Hannah is equal parts homebody and adventurer. She craves travel and her heart was left in Paris years ago. She is in love with love, handwritten letters and all. Hannah believes in making meaningful connections with people and embracing different cultures. Her obsession with Pinterest only fuels her love for polar bears, French bulldogs, and all things fashion.