Mad About Mood Rings

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Arkansas chapter.

Prepared for a throwback? I bet you are. I remember flaunting my mood ring like it was out of a $10,000,000 display case, and I bet you did too. Back then, I also believed the things actually worked, despite the ring trying to convince me that I was furious when I was having the best day of my life. Mood rings actually peaked in popularity around the 1970s, and make a major comeback in the early to late 90s. 

Though none of us were quite sure how the ring could handle our conflicting middle school emotions…

Basically, mood rings react through color to the involuntary chemical reactions our body has as we deal with everyday calms and stresses. Cool, huh? The little stone on the mood ring is actually filled with thermotropic liquid crystals, allowing the stone to change its color as it reacts to the heat your body gives off. Do you recognize any of these moods on your paper chart that came with your ring?

• Dark blue: Happy, romantic or passionate
  • Blue: Calm or relaxed
  • Blue-green: Somewhat relaxed
  • Green: Normal or average
  • Amber: A little nervous or anxious
  • Gray: Very nervous or anxious
  • Black: Stressed, tense or feeling hurried 

Hey, I still have faith in mood rings. These “totally cool” accessories are perfect to double or triple-up on any finger for a “physcadellic” look. I like adding them to my lazy day outfits or pairing them with flanal. Too bad my shirt won’t change colors with it!

Tiffany Ward, a Junior at the University of Arkansas, joined the Her Campus Arkansas team in 2013 and now serves as the chapter President. Along with being an English major, Tiffany has a minor in Legal Studies and Pre-Law emphasis. Tiffany is a loyal member of Alpha Omicron Pi. Tiffany loves to write articles that provide advice and fun to her readers.