Campus Celeb: Jake Scott

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Arkansas chapter.

This week’s Campus Celeb, Jake Scott, is a Faytown native and a senior at the UofA. Jake is a member of Sigma Alpha Epsilon, involved with Student Mobilization (a.k.a. STUMO), and he even released his first EP Oct. 1. Jake is an advertising and public relations major with a minor in marketing. Like most of us, Jake is still trying to figure out his plans after graduation. Jake has definitely shown his leadership through SAE. He’s been the risk manager, house manager and was one of the pledge trainers in the spring of his sophomore year.

“I love the community of it [SAE]. I know it may sound cliché, but I’ve met guys as a result of being an SAE that will be my best friends for the rest of my life,” Jake said. “I feel confident of that.” If you haven’t met Jake through SAE, you can expect to meet him at STUMO. Jake is on the leadership team and leads worship every Tuesday night. This is where I first heard Jake sing, so I wasn’t surprised when Jake’s EP, “Of Life and Love and Longing” hit number five on iTunes in the Alternative/Folk genre shortly after the release (this surpassed Ben Rector’s album). Jake decided not to use his name to represent himself as an artist, but chose “Tossing Copper” to embody his music. Jake said the most rewarding part is hearing stories of how Tossing Copper has impacted people. 

(photo credit Connor Dwyer) 

“I’m not much of a love-song guy. I want to be an artist that writes about real things that happen in all of our lives so that people can listen and be able to connect and say, ‘yeah, I’ve been there,’” Jake said. “To me that seems real and authentic and that’s the kind of music that I want to write.” 

In the midst of SAE, STUMO, Tossing Copper and school Jake finds time to clear his head and gather his thoughts by walking the trails of Fayetteville. “I’ll go for a walk where it’s just me and the Lord and I can think and pray and sometimes even write lyrics in my head while I’m on the trail,” Jake said. 

Everyone can expect to see Tossing Copper perform Nov. 13, at George’s with Little Chief and Goose! To find out more about Jake’s music and how the name “Tossing Copper” came to be, check out www.tossingcopper.com.