10 Reasons Tina Fey Should Be Your New Role Model

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Arkansas chapter.

Constantly surrounded by people like Miley Cyrus and Kim Kardashian, it is hard to find a female celebrity who is actually worthy of praise.  Not many celebrities fit the criteria for the definition of a “role model” anymore.  From dancing on foam fingers to mug shots, most of the women we see on television are examples of how NOT to act.  However, comedian Tina Fey is a relief to those of us who have been yearning for proof that talented, funny, intelligent women do exist.  Though there are many more than ten admirable attributes of Tina Fey, these are some of the reasons she is the ultimate role model. 

1. She wrote her own book. – In 2011, Bossypants became an instant hit.  Full of completely relatable truths of life that will have anyone laughing out loud, this autobiography was at the top of the New York Times Bestseller list for five weeks straight.

2. She knows to be true to yourself. – “Don’t waste your energy trying to educate or change opinions; go over, under, through, and opinions will change organically when you’re the boss. Or they won’t. Who cares? Do your thing, and don’t care if they like it.”- Bossypants

3. She was the youngest winner of the Mark Twain Prize for American Humor. – She has also won eight Emmys, two Golden Globes, five Screen Actors Guild Awards, and Four Writers Guild of America Awards.

4. She is the creator and Executive Producer of 30 Rock as well as a star on Saturday Night Live and the movie, Baby Mama – Her famous role as Sarah Palin on SNL actually won her the AP Entertainer of the Year award in 2008.

5. She understands that sometimes you just have to take chances. – “You can’t be that kid standing at the top of the waterslide, overthinking it. You have to go down the chute.”-Bossypants

6. She gets the struggle of being a perfectionist and knows how to cope. – “It will never be perfect, but perfect is overrated. Perfect is boring on live TV.”-Bossypants

7. She wrote the screenplay for Mean Girls. – Yes, the iconic Mean Girls that has changed the meaning of the word “fetch” and made October 3rd a holiday.

8. She understands the struggles of body image and self-acceptance. – “I would not trade any of these features for anybody else’s. I wouldn’t trade the small thin-lipped mouth that makes me resemble my nephew. I wouldn’t even trade the acne scar on my right cheek, because that recurring zit spent more time with me in college than any boy ever did.”-Bossypants

9. She encourages determination and strong will to follow your path. – “So my unsolicited advise to women in the workplace is this: when faced with sexism or agism or lookism or even really aggressive Buddhism, ask yourself the following question: “Is this person in between me and what I want to do?” If the answer is no, ignore it and move on.”- Bossypants

10. Most importantly, she motivates women everywhere to follow their dreams. – “You must not look in that mirror at your doughy legs and flat feet, for today is about dreams and illusions, and unfiltered natural daylight is the enemy of dreams.”-Bossypants

Sources: wikipedia.com, goodreads.com, babble.com, instyle.com, justjared.com, flickr.com, bostonglobe.com, indyposted.com, virginiasolesmith.com, fox5sandiego.com, prevention.com, nbcnews.com, vanityfair.com

Journalism/Political Science Major, University of Arkansas 2016.