What To Do When You’re Done with Finals

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Tulane chapter.

It’s about that time of year when everyone starts to get really excited about the prospect of those three long months of summer. Whether you’ll be staying in NOLA, heading home or traveling the world, the week after finals can be the best way to wind down and there are definitely a few things you can do to take advantage of it. 

1. FOOD: Whether you’ve been living off that last jar of peanut butter or finishing up your meal swipes, finals ending is a cause to celebrate. If you’re going home, go to your favorite local place that you’ve been craving since January (for my Nassau County friends, I expect to see you all at Marvel within 12 hours of landing…). Staying in NOLA? Maybe it’s time for Commander’s Sunday brunch or dinner at the Rum House or a dozen District Donuts…Treat yourself. 

2. NETFLIX: If Netflix isn’t one your best friends during the school year, I question your enrollment at Tulane, but anyway, you can finally enjoy binge watching GUILT-FREE. Spend the whole day in your bed, spend the whole week in your bed, spend the whole summer in your bed (well maybe get a job or an internship or do something fulfilling). Whatever you choose, it feels good to take a mental break and instead of analyzing Faulkner, analyze Barney Stinson or Tim Riggins – neither are bad options. 

3. HOME FRIENDS: Remeber those people that all go to different colleges? The ones you probably haven’t seen in 5 months? Yeah, they’ll be home too! Whether you’re still in touch with 2 people or your whole high school graduating class, being home means seeing your friends and catching up. Those 5 hour Starbucks conversations recapping the entire semester can be the best and most relaxing way to celebrate the end of the semester. 

4. DON’T UNPACK: The minute you walk in the door your parents will probably start bugging you to put the suitcases away. But what’s the harm in leaving them on the floor for a few days? I don’t see any. Unpacking is probably one the hardest tasks which definitely explains why I didn’t do it over winter break and just lived out of my suitcase. Summer is a little longer so I would definitely get around to it, but it’s not necessary on day one. 

5. BEGIN THE COUNTDOWN UNTIL YOU’RE BACK: This may seem a little crazy, but talk with any senior and you’ll soon realize that you’re lucky to be coming back for another year in beautiful NOLA. And let’s be honest, it’ll take about 10 days before you’re ready to be back anyway. 

Her Campus Tulane