Try This Restaurant: ROOT

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Tulane chapter.

When one visits New Orleans the first question in mind is usually where to eat. Of course, there are the notorious spots such as Emeril’s, Dante’s Kitchen, and Commander’s Palace that every tourist has booked in their calendar’s for months in advance. However, a new type of cuisine is making its debut to New Orleans: the modern American cuisine. Located on 200 Julia Street in the historic Warehouse District comes a menu bursting of Old World flavors, incorporating a modern twist and a brilliant presentation of each of its innovative dishes. Much of New Orleans’ food tends to be overly heavy or repetitive in its tradition of creole, southern cuisine. ROOT, however, has incorporated both modern and southern dishes into their menu and transformed them into innovative masterpieces that surpass some of the most acclaimed restaurants. Whether you plan on visiting ROOT for their incredible selection of small plates and house-made charcuteries, or dining for a full meal, you’re palette will not be disappointed. We began our meal with two Charcuteries: truffle scented chicken liver parfait, served with pickled brussels sprouts and truffled vegetables, and the Mojama, a salted tuna that was beautifully presented on a wooden board with lavash and Satsuma Mustard served in an trendy metallic tube. Next, came the beginnings: “ROOT” Vegetable Salad – a vegetarian’s must-have dish – served with heirloom carrots, charred fennel, baby turnips, pickled celery root, vegetable ash puree, an incredible smoked rutabaga puree, with Meyer lemon thyme vinaigrette on top. This was by far one of the most flavorful and beautiful dishes I had ever ordered. Along with the “ROOT” vegetable salad, came the Louisiana Pickled Shrimp – shrimp stuffed deviled eggs with a truffled egg yolk mousse that seemed to melt in your mouth. Two Charcuteries, two beginnings, and two of the chef’s intermezzos later came our principals. First were the roasted marrowbones with face bacon jam, crispy sweetbread persillade, smoked capers, and black brioche. The winner, however, were the cohiba smoked scallops with chorizo dust, caramelized cauliflower, pimento patatas bravas, and black garlic fennel choucroute. But get this, they were served in a Romeo and Juliet cigar box that opened up to reveal the steaming scallops inside, bursting with flavor. Finally, as if we weren’t already about to topple over, came two desserts. On the lighter side was the Indian falooda with Louisiana citrus, rehydrated basil seeds, blueberry “vermicelli”, Meyer lemon thyme sorbet, topped with Moroccan coconut milk that the waiter slowly pored into the 45 degree glass bowl. Completing our feast was what the waiter called “every chocolate lover’s dream”, and one of the most popular dishes on the menu: “the Yorkie”, mint chocolate chip ice cream resting beneath a home-made chocolate covered peppermint pattie, in a bowl of home-made coco puffs with minted milk making me feel like a kid again. ROOT is by far my new favorite restaurant in New Orleans, offering an infinite selection of choices and flavors in beautiful and innovative presentations, making it number one on my list and a definite hot spot for anyone with an appetite.

JoEllen is a senior at Tulane University where she is majoring in Philosophy and Psychology. She is particularly active with the Tulane chapter of Relay for Life and spent last summer studying abroad in Bali, Indonesia, where she hopes to move some day. JoEllen loves writing, eating delicious Cajun and Creole food, and exploring the city of New Orleans.