Music: Best and Worst of Summer 2014

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Tulane chapter.

Music: Best and Worst of Summer 2k14

The pop charts this summer were filled with highs and lows of astronomical proportions, with some songs that made you immediately get up and move and some that made you want to bang your head against your desk immediately after listening. After a psychotic syllabus/move in week followed by 100+ hours in the library procrastinating the newfound work load by analyzing your iTunes after another monumental summer, let’s break down the best and worst of this season’s chart toppers.

BEST: Problem – Ariana Grande (Ft. Iggy Azalea)

Watching Ariana Grande ascend to pop fame and sexy womanhood from Nickelodeon child star was like watching Miley Cyrus graduate from Disney channel without the trips to your psychologist after realizing your innocence/childhood had been ruined (XOXO RIP Hannah Montana). With jaw dropping vocals and an undeniable hook, Problem put Ariana on the map and gave me something to run to, hear when I went out, and dance around the cabin with my campers to (not an easy accomplishment)

WORST: Rude – Magic!

Week 1: “Wow this song is so catchy and kind of sounds like Bob Marley! So rasta!”

Week 20: “I hate this song. I hate anyone who likes this song.” – Camille Karabasz

BEST: Fancy – Iggy Azalea

Though it seems unfair to have one artist dominate the best category, summer of 2014 was undeniably Iggy’s. This song actually had the ability to make you feel fancy, even when you were knee deep in internship/minimum wage hell. No money, no family, 16 in the middle of Miami people.

WORST: Am I Wrong – Nico & Vinz

Yes.

BEST: Summer – Calvin Harris

No matter where you are, this song makes you feel like you’re in the middle of a music festival with 50,000 of your closest friends (and a complimentary sunburn). Even though you only know the first line, you know it’s coming and scream it at the top of your lungs, and isn’t that what pop music is all about? Shout out to Calvin for turning out yet another club 808 that perfectly sums up summer.

WORST: Happy – Pharrell

We all love Pharrell. We loved Blurred Lines (despite the controversial and mildly frightening lyricism pertaining to sexual assault.) We loved Hot In Herre (STL Shout out to my boy Nelly.) We also loved Happy (in february) There was a point mid July (or mid May) where I actually thought if I heard this song one more time I was going to claw my own eyes out.

There you have it, the best and worst of summer 2k14. Here’s to transitioning the tanning playlist to the nostalgic study playlist, and another year celebrating the highs and lows of pop music (and hopefully another Beyoncé album.)

Her Campus Tulane