How To Make the Most Out of Your Micro-fridge

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Tulane chapter.

Let’s be honest, Bruff gets old. It has been old since the second week of school. As we are now slowly approaching our fifth month here, most people have run out of money to be going out or ordering in lunches and dinners every day. So, what is a girl to do when LBC is closed, Bruff is closed, and we have no money? The answer is easy. Cook for yourself. I’m not saying to make a gourmet five-star steak dinner, but there are some cheap and healthy micro-fridge hacks that everyone definitely needs in their lives.

1. Penne alla Vodka:

If you’re sick of the instant mac and cheese cups or the cup noodles, and want real pasta like mama used to make, believe it or not its very possible. All you need to do is put your desired amount of pasta in a bowl, fill it up halfway with water, and put it in the microwave until all the water is evaporated (10-15 mins). Then, drench the pasta in the vodka sauce, microwave it for another minute and voila! Gourmet penne alla pasta in under 20 mintues. Amazing.

1. Scrambled eggs  

If you’re an early bird or if you happen to wake up a few minutes before your first class and you want a good breakfast to start your day, you can easily make scrambled eggs in your microwave in two minutes. All you have to do is blend 2 eggs in any clean bowl you find lying around in your dorm with a tablespoon, or in this case plastic spoon, of milk and some salt and pepper as desired. Pop it in the microwave for 45 seconds, stir, then put it back for an additional 30 to 45 seconds and there you have it, the most important meal of the day in two minutes.

1. Pumpkin spice oatmeal cookies

With the holidays coming up, its pumpkin prime time. If Mariah Carey’s “All I Want for Christmas Is You” hasn’t gotten you in the holiday spirit, these cookies definitely will. All you need to do is mash a banana and mix it with 3 tablespoons of almond milk (sold at macmart), 3 tablespoons of raw rolled oats, 2 tablespoons of canned pumpkin, 1 tablespoon of peanut butter, a sprinkle of pumpkin spice and cinnamon microwave it for 4 to 5 minutes and fa la la la la all the way to your stomach.

1. S’mores

Since NOLA has been freezing lately, doesn’t it make you want to be by a fire and make s’mores? With this recipe you can cuddle up by your micro fridge and do that, kinda the same thing if you ask me. All you need to do for this super easy recipe is take a graham cracker, put a marshmallow on it, microwave it for 5 seconds until the marshmallow gets really puffy, repeat as many times as you want depending on how fluffy you like your s’mores, and sandwich it with chocolate and another cracker. Just thinking about this makes me want s’more.

Her Campus Tulane