Goodbye New Orleans

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Tulane chapter.

I never thought the time would come when I would have to write my last article for Her Campus Tulane. Graduation is a time of many “lasts,” a time when everything I loved about the last four years of my life is coming to an end. But, graduating from Tulane is different than graduating from just any college. Graduation means I am leaving New Orleans, a city I have learned to love and call my home for the last four years. New Orleans is the most incredible, wackiest, vibrant city on Earth and I would not have wanted to spend my college years in any other place. I vividly remember my freshman year TIDES teacher telling my class, “You’ll see, New Orleans will get in your blood and stay there.” She was right. New Orleans has become a part of me.

Goodbye to festivals. Goodbye to eating my way through French Quarter Fest, listening to my favorite bands at Jazz Fest, spending the day on the quad at Crawfest, and sampling the best sandwiches at Po-Boy Fest.

Goodbye to Mardi Gras. Goodbye to making the miles-long walk down St. Charles, eating garlic fries at New Orleans Seafood, catching so many beads my neck hurts, making the most ridiculous memories with my best friends, and of course, Boot hurricanes.

Goodbye to the parks. Goodbye to my beautiful morning runs in Audubon Park, having a wine and cheese picnic at the Fly, and walking along the Mississippi River at Crescent Park.

Goodbye to Pat O’s. Goodbye to days in the sun in the courtyard, singing along to every Billy Joel song in the piano bar, requesting songs you know they will never play but hope they might, and drinking the infamous hurricanes. 

Goodbye to the food. Goodbye to all of my favorite restaurants (too many to name), the perfectly fresh seafood, discovering new restaurants throughout the city, and eating until WAY past the point I am full.

Goodbye to the French Quarter. Goodbye to stopping for random parades, strolling down Bourbon Street, looking at the art in Jackson Square, eating beignets at Café du Monde, and enjoying NOLA’s open-container laws.

Goodbye to Frenchman Street. Goodbye to all the unique jazz musicians that continue to make the New Orleans music scene thrive, the bands we have become friends with, and developing an appreciation for live jazz music.

Goodbye New Orleans. Thank you for welcoming me into your city with open arms, helping me learn more about myself than I ever thought possible, and giving me the best four years of my life.