Get Motivated to Get Fit

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Tulane chapter.

Going to the gym should not be something you dread doing. And if you make it a habit and a part of your daily routine then it will begin to be something you do without having to think about it. But if you are still finding it hard to choose going to the gym over taking a nap…here are 4 ways to help get that motivation back!

1. Mix up your workouts.

Don’t just go the gym, do cardio for an hour, and leave. That gets boring and makes the gym seem less appealing. End your workout in the weight room. You don’t need to be trying to get buff and figure out what those machines are for, just go to the mat and stretch and do your own exercises. And if you can’t think of any workouts, there is always an app for that!

2. Have a good playlist

I never go to the gym without my iPod and headphones. But sometimes my playlists get old and I don’t always want to be buying more songs on iTunes so I downloaded the Pandora app on my phone. Type “workout” or “gym” into the create station bar and Pandora will gave you the perfect workout playlists to help you keep that heart rate going.

3. Find a gym buddy

It’s hard to always keep motivated and go to the gym, and you can always come up with one hundred reasons not to go.  But if you find a friend to go with you to the gym it gives you a reason to go. You don’t need to workout with them and use machines next to each other but having a friend text you “hey let’s go the gym” can make you feel more obligated to get up off your butt and go to the gym. And you can do the same for them. 

4. Make positive healthy changes in other parts of your life

Just because you go to the gym and see that you burned 200 calories on your run doesn’t mean you should go home and eat that cake because you already burned your calories. Stay strong. After the gym opt for a healthy snack. And make sure to not use going to the gym as an excuse to eat more.  

Whenever you are debating whether or not it is worth going to the gym, or if you really have time, just remember how good you feel after your workout! Remove all thoughts of working out to look good for someone else.  Don’t focus on however much weight you want to lose by spring break. Go to the gym to look good and feel good for the person who matters most, YOU!

Her Campus Tulane