Equal Pay Day with Lanier Scott

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Tulane chapter.

Yesterday, Newcomb College Institute hosted Lanier Scott, a Newcomb College Alumni, to talk about her book Grace and Grit: My Fight for Equal Pay and Fairness at Goodyear and Beyond. Scott spoke inspiringly on the topic she has written about–equal pay for women and discrimination in the work sphere. Her book is the tale of Lilly Ledbetter: Ledbetter’s life was changed forever when she realized males in her same position were making such higher wages. If her name sounds familiar to you, it may be due to Obama’s Lilly Ledbetter Fair Pay Restoration Act. Lanier Scott told Ledbetter’s tale with passion, allowing us to see how involved she was in Lilly’s story. Those who attended the speaker were angered and shocked by the unfairness of Goodyear. However, we’ve come a long way since Ledbetter had been discriminated against (thanks in part to her lawsuit against Goodyear!) to create a more equal work sphere, luckily for all of our graduating seniors! 

Rebecca Shinners is a Her Campus Chapter Advisor and Photo Intern/Freelancer at O, The Oprah Magazine. She graduated from Boston University in 2014 with a BS in Journalism and concentration in Photojournalism. She got her start in magazines writing for Her Campus and was previously an Editor for both Her Campus BU and Her Campus Tulane. Her work has also appeared in Seventeen Magazine, Teen Vogue, Bustle.com, Hamptons Magazine, and Newsday. When Rebecca isn't busy writing and taking pictures, she can be found shopping, petting puppies, wearing the color mint, and going to concerts.More: http://rebeccashinners.weebly.com/
Catherine Combs is a Tulane University Alumna, who majored in Communications and Political Science. She  has always had a soft spot for books, writing, and anything Chanel. When not searching for the final touches to her latest outfit idea, she can be found reading.