Dorm Raiders: Top Picks for Spring

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Tulane chapter.

Over the past few day’s something’s been different about Tulane. Whether it’s the sudden amount of bare legs (
in shorts!) you’ve spotted sitting in Richardson, or the sunbathers you had to step over to cut through the quad, it’s starting to finally, actually feel like spring! Break out your high-wasted lace shorts and flowered sundresses—here at Tulane we never know when it’ll randomly be too cold to wear them again. We all did come to New Orleans for the beautiful weather after all. When you’re getting into the spring mood, why should your dorm miss out? Here are Dorm Raiders’ top picks to brighten up your room this spring:

1. I thought I told you to buy a rug already…
Whether you’re new to dorm raiders, or youjust haven’t been listening, a rug is a great way to give your dorm room a homey touch. Rugs take up room and make your space look more decorated without getting in your way. This rug is perfect for spring since its nature-toned hues give it an outdoorsy feeling. Its circular shape and braiding give it a unique touch.

2. Not Just your Ordinary Pillow

What do you mean you think decorative pillows are just for old people? Ok, so when I say “decorative” pillow,you may get a mental picture of your grandma’s couch—well, stop! Just because you’re in college and don’t have time to make your bed everyday—trust me, I understand if you jump up 10 minutes before your class each morning—doesn’t mean you can’t get a decorative pillow. Put the pillow on your bed or even your desk chair. This pillow will bring the springtime flowers from your walk to class to your dorm room.

3. String Lights, Meet your Match
So, we all like to hang Christmas lights around our rooms right? Well, if you’re looking for something a bit
 different, try these string vases. Find a spot in your room—try over your desk or bed—to hang them. Then, head out to a craft store like Michaels, they have a ton of fake flowers you can have your pick of. Get real flowers at your own risk…it might be a little hard to water them if you have to stand on a chair and reach up to your ceiling to do so. Fake flowers come in so many different colors, are easy to manage, and can make your room look like spring year round!

4. Sick of Flowers yet?
If you’ve been listening, I’m sure you’ve realized that spring makes me think of two things, flowers and bright colors. Well, if you’re not quite a flower child, these dandelions tone our whole flower theme down a bit. I bet you’re already looking at them reminiscing about your childhood. You used to pick them out of the playground, close your eyes, make a wish, and blow their petals far, far away. We’re all guilty of this childhood experience, so hanging these wall decorations up is bound to get an “omg I used to love those” squeal out of your guests.

What are you waiting for? Go add some brighter colors to your dorm room already!

Remember Tulane…Defend New Orleans, Defend Your Dorm!
Do you think your dorm has what it takes to be raided? Email rshinner@tulane.edu

All above items can be found at Urban Outfitters 

Rebecca Shinners is a Her Campus Chapter Advisor and Photo Intern/Freelancer at O, The Oprah Magazine. She graduated from Boston University in 2014 with a BS in Journalism and concentration in Photojournalism. She got her start in magazines writing for Her Campus and was previously an Editor for both Her Campus BU and Her Campus Tulane. Her work has also appeared in Seventeen Magazine, Teen Vogue, Bustle.com, Hamptons Magazine, and Newsday. When Rebecca isn't busy writing and taking pictures, she can be found shopping, petting puppies, wearing the color mint, and going to concerts.More: http://rebeccashinners.weebly.com/
Catherine Combs is a Tulane University Alumna, who majored in Communications and Political Science. She  has always had a soft spot for books, writing, and anything Chanel. When not searching for the final touches to her latest outfit idea, she can be found reading.