Dorm Raiders: How to Study-Proof Your Room!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Tulane chapter.

Classes are ending, textbooks are being opened…
Let me guess, you’ve noticed an insane amount of students battling it out for a computer at PJs while you innocently stood on line waiting for your coffee. Maybe you’ve tried to find an empty table at Howie T…first floor…second floor…third floor…maybe forth floor…nothing?! Off to that b-school breakout room. All full? Try the LBC? Ugh, people are being loud and eating at the table right next to you! If this study frustration seems familiar to you, it may be time you resort back to the very place you were trying to avoid on the mission to read your whole textbook or finally start that 12 page paper—your dorm room! Dorm raiders is here to show you how
to remove the distractions you left your room to avoid in the first place while using your room as a sanctuary away from the students desperately searching for a space at one of the popular Tulane study spots.

Step 1: Electronics
If you have a small, but oh so tempting TV in your room, it’s time to hide it. If the TV is small enough, move it into a cabinet. If you’re lucky enough to have a bigger TV, forget moving it and just cover it up with a towel or something of the sort. If may sound silly, but it will help with the whole out of sight out of mind notion. If you
have any video games (boys!) it’s time to unplug them and stuff them at the back of your sweatshirt drawer. If you choose to cover your TV, don’t forget to uncover it every few hours for a much deserved study break! But as loud as temptation calls, limit your breaks to 15-30 minutes each.

Step 2: Phoneless
Yes, I’m going to admit this is probably the most painful step for those of us addicted to our smartphones. While not necessary, for the days when you’re swamped with an extra amount of work, hiding your phone from yourself for say, every other hour, will make you work much more efficiently. Make sure your phone is somewhere hidden and far from your workspace. If you live in a suite, put it in your suitemates drawer—ask first of course, we don’t want them thinking they just found themselves a brand new iPhone or anything like that. Now that would be painful!

Step 3: But I’m surrounded by food…
It’s no secret that studying may have the effect of us eating more than usual just out of boredom alone. Plus, finals time seems to mean care-package time to our parents. Just because you’re studying in your room doesn’t mean you have to finish that bag of Doritos you just opened! Try portioning your snacks in plastic bags and limiting yourself to just that. Yes, the food will be more readily available to you, but if you plan ahead, knowing you’ll want a snack, it’s a lot better to eat a handful of pretzels rather than the whole bag plus your roommate’s cookies.

Step 4: Don’t let your bed be a trap
Many students who choose to study in their room choose to study in their bed. While this may work out for a little while, the comfort is bound to get to you and just when your history reading hits the boring middle ages, you’re bound to fall victim to that “oh I’ll just take a 10 minute nap” syndrome. Yes, you just fell asleep for 3 hours and yes your final is tomorrow. Make sure to clear off your desk before trying to study in your room. Even study on your floor!

Step 5: The talkative roommate
Do you have a roommate who feels the need to talk to you every second you’re in the room together? Does she just seem to never have any work? How is she even passing her classes? Honestly, this one may be a deal breaker—if you can’t seem to get your roomie to leave the room and you know she won’t let you concentrate on
your work try a floor study room. However, even the most annoying problems have solutions. The night before your big study day talk to your roommate about what times she knows she’ll be out of the room. Tell her how stressed you are and how badly you need to find somewhere to study, she’ll get the hint—hopefully. The two of you are likely to figure out a block of time when you can be alone in your room undisturbed. Then you can make the trip to Howard Tilton while she skypes her friend for hours.

Step 6: But what about my neighbors?
Ok, we’ve taken care of your roommate but we can’t forget that if you’re a freshman it’s likely you live a few doors down from all your best friends. If possible just tell everyone ahead of time that you’ll be locked up studying. If they insist on seeing you, promise that your first 10 minute study break will be spent in their room— that way, there’s no need to worry about kicking them out of your study space once your break ends. If you’re popular enough to be friends with every single person on your floor and just don’t know how to contact them all, try writing a quick Do NOT Disturb sign on your whiteboard—I’m sure you have one on your door if you’re as popular as you claim.

Now lock your door, study on, and get yourself through the next week!
Good luck y’all!

Rebecca Shinners is a Her Campus Chapter Advisor and Photo Intern/Freelancer at O, The Oprah Magazine. She graduated from Boston University in 2014 with a BS in Journalism and concentration in Photojournalism. She got her start in magazines writing for Her Campus and was previously an Editor for both Her Campus BU and Her Campus Tulane. Her work has also appeared in Seventeen Magazine, Teen Vogue, Bustle.com, Hamptons Magazine, and Newsday. When Rebecca isn't busy writing and taking pictures, she can be found shopping, petting puppies, wearing the color mint, and going to concerts.More: http://rebeccashinners.weebly.com/
Catherine Combs is a Tulane University Alumna, who majored in Communications and Political Science. She  has always had a soft spot for books, writing, and anything Chanel. When not searching for the final touches to her latest outfit idea, she can be found reading.