Dorm Raiders: Boys Can Decorate too?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Tulane chapter.

Meet Jason and Adam

This week, dorm raiders went where no girl’s gone before—Jason and Adam’s room in Willow B. This room screams “boy” in every aspect, so be warned girls. No peace sign stickers can be found on the walls. There’s no bright pink sag rug. Not a single flower or heart is anywhere in the room. Who would want to live in such a boring room you may ask—of course the answer is simple, boys. Boys just don’t decorate in the same way girls do. They tend to have different interests and prefer different colors. If I had to guess I’d say you couldn’t even tell the comforters of your guy friends apart. Most are blue, black, or grey—the darker the better. But dorm raiders is here to show you just what you can learn about decorating from yes, I’ll say it, a boy’s room.

Enter if you DARE!

Why have one fridge….

If there’s one thing in this room I could never understand it’s why Jason and Adam have not one, but two fridges. Girls, take a minute and think: when you go to bruff with your guy friends, doesn’t it seem like they have to have every single meal offered that night? Boys like to eat. While staying in shape is important, there is a lesson to be learned here. It isn’t bad to have a lot of food in your room and it doesn’t have to be junk food. You can buy fruit to keep around as a snack or sandwich material for when you have too much work to spend the long hours trying to find something edible in bruff. Maybe it seems like boys can eat so much more than us girls, but comfort food is good for all of us sometimes.

Does that TV really fit in a dorm room?
One of the things you’re bound to notice in this room is the giant flat screen TV. It’s 40 inches and it’s bigger than any TV I’ve seen in the dorms before. But Willow rooms are big and these boys know how to take advantage of it. They have an xbox due to the whole typical boys still play video games in college factor. This xbox also makes it so they can watch Netflix on their TV.

When two beds just aren’t good enough…
In this room, Jason and Adam made sure to fill up every ounce of space they were given. They already set their beds up to make room for the TV in the center. But obviously, this big TV was useless to them without their very own futon. If you have enough room for a futon in your room, stop worrying about how you’re going to get
it home after the year and get one! Futons are the perfect spot for you and all your friends to hang out. Find out just how many people can fit on your futon and get everyone to crowd around your 40-inch TV for a fun dorm room hangout.

They even decorated too!

These two boys clearly have some things you won’t find in the typical room. However, their room is actually pretty typical in many ways too. Adam has hung up band posters all over his side of the room. Girls, come on over if you want to talk music with Adam. And don’t forget to check out the spider lights from his mom. I guess the days of moms helping decorate our rooms aren’t over yet. On Jason’s side we can see more of the typical boy topics, he has car and sports posters hung up with a little Tulane pride mixed in. I’d have to say my favorite of
Jason’s decorations is his fraternity composite picture. He’s representing Fiji just like most sorority girls have something with their Greek letters on it decorating their rooms. His small picture may just be a bit subtler than your giant AEPhi giraffe. And it’s definitely not as bright as anything pink that says Phi Mu.

Make it Your Own:

1. Stock up on some comfort food for those long paper-writing nights
2. Keep around extra food for when you don’t feel like bruff. Girls need to eat
too!
3. Get a TV—don’t worry, we won’t hold it against you if it’s a bit smaller than
40 inches.
4. If you want to impress me: get a TV bigger than 40 inches!
5. Don’t leave your furniture how it was when you moved in. Jason and Adam
rearranged everything so they could fit a little hang out area into their room.
6. Get a futon!
7. Hang up something with some Greek pride

Remember Tulane…Defend New Orleans, Defend Your Dorm!

Do you think your dorm has what it takes to be raided? Email rshinner@tulane.edu

Rebecca Shinners is a Her Campus Chapter Advisor and Photo Intern/Freelancer at O, The Oprah Magazine. She graduated from Boston University in 2014 with a BS in Journalism and concentration in Photojournalism. She got her start in magazines writing for Her Campus and was previously an Editor for both Her Campus BU and Her Campus Tulane. Her work has also appeared in Seventeen Magazine, Teen Vogue, Bustle.com, Hamptons Magazine, and Newsday. When Rebecca isn't busy writing and taking pictures, she can be found shopping, petting puppies, wearing the color mint, and going to concerts.More: http://rebeccashinners.weebly.com/
Catherine Combs is a Tulane University Alumna, who majored in Communications and Political Science. She  has always had a soft spot for books, writing, and anything Chanel. When not searching for the final touches to her latest outfit idea, she can be found reading.